Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

phedre

GE Washer model# GWX5087RW119

10 posts in this topic

A few minutes ago I went to remove a load of laundry from my washing machine only to find that the spin cycle no longer works, and I can smell burnt rubber/electronics coming from the machine. It fills, drains, and all that stuff, but it doesn't move during the spin cycle.

I have no idea where to even start with this one. I know it's not under warranty (it came with the condo, and is probably 6+ years old), but is there any hope?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Check model # again. Can't find anything listed under that #.

Neither could I. It's definitely right though:

GWX5087RW119

gesn.jpggesn.jpg

And from what I'm reading on the forums about burnt smells in washing machines, it looks like I'll have to go shopping tomorrow. Ugh.

EDIT: Requested information acquired.

Ahh... GE/CAMCO

does the control panel look anything like these ?

post-3641-129045099868_thumb.jpg

post-3641-129045100142_thumb.jpg

Re: spin. It was doing SOME spinning during the wash cycle, but that's stopped. I found that if I popped the agitator off, it would spin and complete the cycle (once), but this has also stopped now. It fills/drains fine, but that's it.

Re: control panel. Nope, nothing like that. Here's my machine (excuse the wide picture!):

controls.jpg

lid.jpg

assembly.jpg

remove back panel, you are going to find oil all over, the trans has prolly leaked out the bottom soaking the belt in oil causeing it to slip and burn

Oh this is gonna be FUN isn't it! Unfortunately it'll have to wait til I get back on the 19th of April, as I'll be travelling til then. But I'll definitely give it a shot!

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to wear old clothes.

If it is spinning (trying to)  while agitating then you have a tranny bad or almost there....looks to be the older style GE with the cardboard material on the back  of it...if so as BToast said remove the panel and you will more tan likely see a worn out belt with oil all over it and possibly down on the floor...lower seal bad to go out over time...also looks to have the agitator with the brass coupler up inside it these are bad to wear out also (fun to change without the proper tool).ggod  luck

Yeah, the coupler's definitely worn out, it slips. Between that, the belt, and (I believe) the transmission, I gave it up as a lost cause.

I am now the proud owner of a Whirlpool Duet Sport washing machine, model WFW8500S. It's being delivered next weekend. Ah well, at least I tried to rescue the poor old thing!

Next up: researching ovens. I think I'll need one of those soon, too.