Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 30 March 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, March 30 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Home warranty companies

texasred

I have seen old post on this topic. Any thing new as to American Home Shield? We are doing work for them,  pay on time very well and have plenty of work. Any pitfalls etc. you guys have had?

• Like 4

The pay was the only problem I ever had, other than that....there ok.

[user=27301]appl.tech.29501[/user] wrote:

The pay was the only problem I ever had, other than that....there ok.

the amount of pay or the waitng for pay ?

Does anyone know about SqaureTrade.com warranty ?

We signed up for their online billing with direct deposit into our account. We turn in invoices online by noon every Tuesday and money is in the bank 3 days later. We do have to take a 2% discount to do this. So far they pay like a slot. Decent work  but sometimes they make decisions as to repairing items for too much money? But if they send the work order we complete and bill out  

That sounds pretty good there, they wanted to pay us in 90 days and few times it took them 180 before we cut them off....maybe they have cleaned up thier act.

• 2 months later...

If anyone is intrested in more Info or has general questions about working with ahs, I set up new contractors and would be happy to answer any questions anyone has or even get you going if you like.  Just shoot me an email at the office nfisher@ahslink.com. ....     Thanks guys !

• 3 weeks later...

AHS has a good amount of work to send over,  so its good to keep all our techs busy.

Relative to other insurance companies,  they are the most reliable in terms of payments, answering their phones, sending parts, very professional etc.

Im wondering how their new Flex plans are going to pay out in 2009.   Its crazy that compressor replacement is covered when the failure is a result of a filthy condensor (lack of maintenance),   especially when the contract is two or three months old :shock:   but so far everything has been fine with the new plan..

The only downfall is that parts are getting more expensive every day,  gas has gone through the roof,   prices everywhere are going up,  but there is no room to increase prices at home shield.    But that's the trend almost everywhere so ya can't blame em!

I have heard of some warranty companies buying back the warranties and even the appliances when they can not get any one in the area to work on them.

Hi AJ, good to see you....when we did NEW (National Electronics Warranty) if the repair was as much or more than the original cost of the appliance NEW would buy it out.  If NEW could not get anyone to service something out in say the sticks, they would do an exchange (same as buying out). If a repair was going to take more than a set time, depending on what it was, they would buy it out, so yes, I would imagine this might hold true for all warranty companies?  Each company would most likely have different policies on this.

Yeah there are definately occations when we have to just flat out replace an appliance if I can't track someone down to work on them.  Not too often to we actually buy out the contract though.  I just had to replace someones Miele Dishwasher due to no tecs for 200 miles in any direction that were willing to look at if for me.  The sad part is im pretty sure it just needed a new door seal.  Oh well though definately made the customer's day LOL. 

Hi Pegi,

Hope your having a great summer.

Yeah there are definately occations when we have to just flat out replace an appliance if I can't track someone down to work on them.

:D

Oh yea, 10 days in Tampa Florida, May 23rd - June 1st, explored the Everglades and the Keys from Key Largo to Key West.....wanna go back.....wimper....:?

• 1 month later...

We have been doing about 400 calls a year for AHS, for the last 3 years.  Our pay has been on time every time.  Watch out they rate you on cost per job,  this includes replacements and buy outs.   If you did 10 jobs for them and 7 of them were $100, and 3 of them were replacements at $400, your average according to AHS will be $190 per call.  But you only made $700 for the first 7 calls and $70 each for the 3 replacement calls total $910 or $90.10 per call average.   If they set your limit at $140 per call you will be over the limit and they will send your calls some were else. 

Establish a very good relationship with your field rep, don’t replace anything unless it’s unsafe, 1st trip completes, and keep recalls low.  You can do well with AHS if you know how to play the game.

• 6 months later...

We run into problems with home warranty companies when we work with them. We specialize in high end appliances mainly and the warranty companies generally send companies that have no training or information on these units. By the time we get called in the unit has been butchered and worse off than when the first company started. I've seen this especially on Subzero sealed system work (lots of misdiagnosed problems ending up as contaminated systems by untrained servicers). Many times it takes longer to negotiate payment to get my time paid for than the repair takes.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I would like to get set up with American Home Shield. I tried to email Samanera but the email he had listed was no longer valid. Is there anyone who can help me get set up?

The insurance is a 1million general liability, and 600k commercial auto. good company two of my friends are running for them. My friends cant seem to get time off, at the moment, so thats a good thing, plus home shield has been doing them right for the last 5 years.

If anyone is do'ing Warranty work & it's working out for you , I'm happy for you !

But in my location , I don't have time to waste with ANY warranty work !

It is just a drain on my time & resources.

I probably turn down offers from these companys at least twice a week .

I think our own Master Samurai spoke elequently on this !

I , for one agree with him , ( from my own experience )

To each his own !

Randy

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

The insurance is a 1million general liability, and 600k commercial auto. good company two of my friends are running for them. My friends cant seem to get time off, at the moment, so thats a good thing, plus home shield has been doing them right for the last 5 years.

I'm getting ready to sign up with these guys myself. How do you get paid?  I believe they told me I collect the initial service charge up front from the customers and then let them know what parts i need and they will provide them. No additional money is paid for extra trips but I was told if I already have the needed part, I could let them know what part I replaced and they would drop ship another one to replenish my stock. So basically looks like I'll only be getting the call money but I will be able to collect at time of initial visit (unless I misheard the rep on the phone). I have to call them tomorrow to clarify, but just curious if any one else does it this way with them or any other home warranty company?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to sign up with these guys myself. How do you get paid?  I believe they told me I collect the initial service charge up front from the customers and then let them know what parts i need and they will provide them. No additional money is paid for extra trips but I was told if I already have the needed part, I could let them know what part I replaced and they would drop ship another one to replenish my stock. So basically looks like I'll only be getting the call money but I will be able to collect at time of initial visit (unless I misheard the rep on the phone). I have to call them tomorrow to clarify, but just curious if any one else does it this way with them or any other home warranty company?

Any one have any recent experiences with this company??

• 2 months later...

Started getting work from these guys and they are great. I get steady work and steady pay. The calls are a little further away than I'm used to but the work is steady and it pays. Highly recommended by me. Just try to get the calls done in one trip as often as possible. They reimburse for parts used or set you up an account to order them and they pay for the parts to get overnighted directly to you. So far so good.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm really interested in AHS. I'm a new business as of early this year. Its slowly getting better but I would love more calls. The company I used to work for has one or two customers that would only use us. I remember calling with (what i this is crazy) pricing and they always approved the repair (mostly higher end appliances). then again I was just a tech and the payment was the offices issue.  If I were to sign up with AHS what should I expect for a new business.

• 3 months later...

I signed up with AHS and they set me up with a max of 2 calls per day, not that I always get the two calls per day. I ran service for them for a couple weeks before I had to go out of state for a while (still out of state). My experience with them has been good. They do pay pretty fast if you take the 2% cut and bill them online (and that's 2% of everything, including the service fee you collect from the customer). They seem to cover just about everything for appliances - except dryer vents.

I did work for them a looong time ago doing HVAC and there were so many things they didn't cover - which was usually ok because then you'd get more money from the customer for the stuff they didn't cover. 

You have to keep good records and update your dispatches all the time, but that's easy enough. Keep your 1st call completes up there and you'll be golden. Takes more time to authorize a job than it does to complete the job sometimes.