LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Carrier Heat Pump Model 38EYG

thdesha

I have a service call coming for my heat pump, however I have been reading here and would like to ask for help diagnosing what to expect from the repairman. This will also help me believe he/she got it diagnosed correctly. Here are the steps I have done trying to diagnose my problem after reading probable causes on the forums.

Kindly,

Thank You

Problem: Heat pump not working neither indoor air handler or outside unit compressor.

1st.  Checked all breakers and pull-out fuses for indoor, outdoor unit's. (all good Normal)

2nd. Test emergency heat all worked normal with indoor air handling unit fan and heat strips coming on normal.

3rd. Check 24 volt transformer in air handler working correctly (230 in approx 26 volt out)

4th. Thermostat showing E2 error briefly then HP error then goes dark for 5 seconds then returns to normal.

5th Pushed in contactor on outdoor unit and compressor works normal.

6th. Checked 24volt at relay coil and had no current

7th. Checked coil for continuity and checked good (yes).

8th.  Checked air handler 5 amp fuse  Checked  good.

9th. Check 24 volts across fuse contacts with good fuse in place and had no reading with demand from thermostat.

10th Shut unit off.

What should I expect from the service call?

BTW. The unit has been serviced 4 times in the short 4 years I have had it.  I think Carrier has lost its dependability it was once known for.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[user=9705]thdesha[/user] wrote:

9th. Check 24 volts across fuse contacts with good fuse in place and had no reading with demand from thermostat.

??

there should be no voltage across fuse.

"COMPRESSOR DISCHARGE TEMP HIGH "  CODE LOGGED SYSTEM OFF .  freon low , freon high . system blokage freon or air  bad board or sensor , bad thermostat or wire , bad connection ect ,ect  . dont blame carrier  . its the nut cases in washinton  getting involved in everthing we do .   all new systems the same . WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE .  6 days a week  .  think about this  all you have to do is pay the bill . the service tech  has to fix it !    

its not going to be that . you have a high pressure problem . if it happend when heat was on  you indoor blower motor controler is not working properly  or evap coil blocked , freon flow problem , stuck check valve .the only thing you can safely do is check your air filter  .with out the proper breakout box you cannot check the controler data stream to to main board  . your blower might be running but at what speed ?you have between 2 and 30 speeds .set be the controlers programing. there is no way you can know , i cant even tell and i work on them every day without a long list of checkout test points .... TRUST ME ON THIS , YOU MESS WITH THIS SYSTEM AND IT WILL GET EVEN WITH YOUR WALLET .   also you are complaining about 4 breakdowns in 4 years  ?  THATS GOOD 1 A YEAR !!!   ... move here to arizona and you will know you service tec by his first name and have his number in speed dial

You may except failure of expensive equipment as normal, myself I do not. My real question is, can Carrier sell me another system, not a chance. I have owned  many items vehicles, appliances etc. with far better records than this heat pump.  I just don't think it's rocket science to make a dependable heat pump. Thanks for you're thoughts.

I AGREE WITH YOU on ever point  , i have been in the busness for 31 years . this was all put on me , i did not want it .  first there was one board then there was two then the boards got bigger and bigger and bigger then there was one one was added to the indoor motor!. now there talking to each other !!!! GOOD GOD WHATS NEXT !    in 2000  i was replaceing a blower motors that cost 75.00 and then by 2001  add a board ! and the motors $800.00 ! ....  and its not just carrier....   YORK, GOODMAN/AMANA , COLEMAN,   RUDD/REEM   there all the same ... a lot of trouble  to do something simple -heat and cool your house  , TRUST ME I UNDERSTAND

Just a quick follow up, the repairman came today. He done most of the same things I had already looked at, however he jumped across a couple of wires from the thermostat and the air handler started then when he  tried to jump the wire to the compressor it immediately arched and blew the 5 amp fuse. Upon this he went to the compressor looked down threw the fan and saw the red wires insulation had got hot melting on top of the high pressured feed shorting out. Solution add a plastic tie to pull the wires off the feed. Took 5 minutes to fix, 1 hour (Labor fee) to figure out the problem. Spoke about how Carrier is bad about not  directing wires properly.

Archived