Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag Motor May Be Kaput!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I hope you can help me... my stepson left a small chain in the pocket of his jeans and it found its way through (partially) one of the drain holes of our Maytag washer.  Now, although it spins and drains properly, the washer screeches and the agitator barely moves everytime it's put in agitate mode.  Could a bad motor bearing be causing this?  If so, is this usually a costly repair?

Thanks, Jon

Maytag PAV2300

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 13 April 2005 - 05:44 PM

I'm thinking it's something much less exotic, like the chain wrapped around the agitator. Have you removed the agitator to take a look? That'd be a good start.

#3 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:21 PM

Quick reply thanks!   Yes I've taken the agitator, the agitator base, the entire tub assembly, and the pump hose off.  Checked the bottom belt... looks ok. 

BTW, I'm wondering if the other half of this chain got to the drain pump and might be causing this... maybe? :?  The main belt attaches to a pulley underneath it... just a thought.

Thanks, Jon

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:36 PM

[user=223]Tad[/user] wrote:

BTW, I'm wondering if the other half of this chain got to the drain pump and might be causing this... maybe? :?

You've progressed further on this that I would have thought from your initial post, good job.

Good thought on the pump and that's the next thing to examine. Best way to do this is to remove the front panel and run the washer, trying to locate the noise visually.

This would not explain the odd agitator behavior. That's a function of the transmission and I don;t see how the chain could possibly affect the transmission.

#5 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 08:03 PM

Thanks! :dude:

Ok then, I'll check the pump out tomorrow.  There's a cover plate off the back of the machine that'll make it easy to get to.  Hopefully something's in there!  If not, I'm back to the motor...

I'll let you know what I find. 

Thanks again, Jon

#6 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:34 AM

Me again...

I took the pump apart... found a small staple but no chain :(.  If the transmission is the culprit, is that something I can diagnose myself?  It seems like I've done everything I can short of taking the motor out (which I'm really not keen on doing).

I'm going to hook the water supply up and test it again... I'll be back!

#7 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

No... same thing :(.   I figure that the chain (originally about 9" long.. removed at 3") must have ceased the agitator for a while causing the transmission to break something inside of it.  It's been three days now and the laundry is piling up.. plus my wife is getting anxious (in a bad way!).  

Because I'm refurbishing our previous home for resale, I just don't have time to replace parts right now, and a repair man would probably cost too much.  Any suggestions on a $300-$500 replacement?  We had a newer GE dishwasher that ran well.

Thanks, Jon

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 05:55 PM

These Maytags have had a rash of transmission failures. If you get a GE, get ready for more of the same. IMEO, the best washer for the price range you're looking for is the Whirlpool direct drive washer. Not perfect, you'll still be doing repairs, but they tend be less drastic and less frequent.

#9 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:35 AM

Thanks Sam...

I decided to spend extra and get a GE front loader.  Water prices are expected to climb here in CA and I like the idea of saving it (and it's cost).  The Whirlpool Duet (one of your favorites I gather) is just too expensive for me. 

Thanks for your help :D

Jon

#10 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:18 AM

One cautionary note...the GE front loader is the Friggidaire with a different name stuck on. Electronic motor control (as in all front loaders) = nasty and expensive repairs - this is one of the few situations where I used to recommend the customer consider some kind of extended warranty. Also remember the bearing issues which have been coming to light with these recently.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#11 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:20 PM

Thanks for the tip.... I ordered it online so it will take a few days to sort out. 

So can I ask what other front loader you would recommend?  I know Whirlpool and Bosch are at Lowes... Maytag and GE at Home Depot.  It's got to go on one of those cards :?

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:51 PM

My own preference is for either the Whirlpool Duet or the Staber.

#13 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 07:56 PM

Update:

Well... my wife, after spending the day at my mom's house doing laundry, dragged me over to Lowe's saying "we're going to buy a washer right now!"  I looked at the WP Duet but I just couldn't bring myself to spend $1100.  Instead we bought a Fisher and Paykel GWL11 direct drive washer.  No bells and whistles... just a super capacity energy saver (water and AC supposedly?) .  The reviews look good so I'm confident we did ok.

Thanks for your help... have a good weekend everyone! :D

#14 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,820 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:43 PM

$1100 for  a Duet, that's a good deal!  :contract:

I think you'll be happy with the Fisher Paykel, too.  They're good machines.

#15 Tad

Tad

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:32 AM

Yeah, here's the link:

http://www.lowes.com...50PW&lpage=none

I really liked the fact that Lowe's carries a lot of these in stock, unlike the company I work for... Home Depot :cool:.  Still, I was impressed by HD's delivery schedule.  They could've had the GE here by Tuesday... not bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics