Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
BAKINS50

JENN AIR JCD2389GES cond.will not run.

13 posts in this topic

My JENN AIR JCD2389GES has been in storage for about a year. I finely got it out and plugged it in and it will not cool. I can hear the fans run, but nothing else; no comp. etc. is there a reset somewhere or is this comp. bad?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

I'd start at the cold control (item 3). These old-style controls use a gas-filled tube sense temperature and are famous for leaking verrrry slowly, eventually becoming stuck open. Unplug, disassemble, and use your meter to check continuity as you rotate the knob shaft on the control.

If you are talking about the temp control in the frig., if i slide them to the warm side as far as they will go the fans stay on. I am thinking maybe it might be the relay or the  Run capacitor on the comp.is there a way to check it?

Although the warmest setting on the temperature control is still colder that the fridge (room teperature) ...

If you could do some voltage checks on the compressor as shown in the wiring diagram above.

ORANGE = neutral

BLUE = 120v supply

There should be 120v between BLUE and one of the connections on the RUN CAPACITOR (on certain models only)

With the fridge un-plugged:

You could check the resistance of the overload.

You could make sure niether of the compressor's 3 terminals is shorted to it's case.

You could also check the resistance of the compressor windings.

Common

/             \

1 - 5 Ω          3 - 11 Ω

/                      \

Start                   Run

Check the resistance across the (removed) PTC device (should be between 3 - 20 OHMS)

Thanks I will check it tomorrow

Although the warmest setting on the temperature control is still colder that the fridge (room teperature) ...

If you could do some voltage checks on the compressor as shown in the wiring diagram above.

ORANGE = neutral

BLUE = 120v supply

There should be 120v between BLUE and one of the connections on the RUN CAPACITOR (on certain models only) THERE IS

With the fridge un-plugged:

You could check the resistance of the overload.

You could make sure niether of the compressor's 3 terminals is shorted to it's case. ARE NOT

You could also check the resistance of the compressor windings.

Common

/             \

1 - 5 Ω          3 - 11 Ω

/                      \

Start                   Run

GOOD                 GOOD

Check the resistance across the (removed) PTC device (should be between 3 - 20 OHMS)

GOOD

What next ?

Is the overload switch OK  0 ohms ?

120v is supplied through the overload switch to the Common terminal of the compressor.

The capcitor is connected across the Start & Run terminals.

Neutral is connected to the Run terminal.

During starting, the PTC relay applies the neutral (through it's low internal resistance) to the Start terminal of the compressor.

As the resistance inside the PTC rises, it reduces the neutral connection to the Start terminal.

On the side of my comp. there is a sq. tan box with the blue wire on the bottom,and the orange and white on top. with this removed from the comp. what points should read 0 ohms? If this is the overload switch .

that could be it.

should be only 2 connections 0 ohms...

i'm getting about .5 ohms, this most be the

Problem. thanks for your help.

.5 ohms should be OK

One voltmeter lead on Blue (one side of overload)

Other voltmeter lead:

Orange/white (?)  other side of overload  0v

Capacitor Orange 120v

Capacitor White 120v during start