Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Replacing Whirlpool clutch

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Prelude2244

Prelude2244

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi. Just wanted to know if you can just replace the worn out band lining or you have to replace the whole clutch including that metal plate.  Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

i think or guess ? ! your talking about a top load belt drive washer ?  whirlpool made a lot of washers over the years ...... MOD# PLEASE

SORRY ABOUT THE SPELLING , I FIX GREAT , I DON'T SPELL WELL

#3 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:33 AM

I am going to assume that you have a direct drive machine (Coupler and no belt) you used to be able to purchase the lining only under part # 282345 ( I happen to have one left I found the other day) now you have to order the whole clutch part# 285785....it also comes with the white drive cam for the bottom of the spin tube just replace it all and your machine should spin like a new one....up until last year I would change about 8-10 a year since then it's about 3-5 a month...good  luck
This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

#4 Prelude2244

Prelude2244

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:34 AM

Hi. I can get the lining part# 282345 but I was wondering if I could reuse that round metal plate/housing that the lining goes into?

Also, can the white drive cam be replaced without taking the brake/brake tube out? Is ther a DIY directions here for replacing that? I know how to take the gearcase and clutch out but not the brake/brake tube and that white plastic drive cam.  Thanks.

Does this clutch look worn out?

Posted Image

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:51 AM

some info:

282345 PACK-SUB Part Instruction Sheet

285785 CLUTCH Part Instruction Sheet

also, there's this kit part # 285790

click on picture
Posted Image

285790 LINING Part Instruction Sheet

installation video:

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#6 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:55 AM

Someone must have some of the old linings laying around, I checked couple weeks ago and could only get the whole unit....the sub pak doesn't have the drive cam in it....it is easy to change though take a flat blade screwdriver and slide off the c-clip that holds it on replace and re-install clip....(you do not need to remove the spin tube).....you can re-use the metal housing I like to take a fine grit sandpaper and refinish the inside of the clutch before re-installing the insert

#7 Prelude2244

Prelude2244

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

You mean that big gold C Clip? Once I pop that out the white plastic drive cam should drop off? 
I also see a small C Clip towards the bottom, what is that for?   Thanks.

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/attachment.php?attachmentid=835&d=1203679138

#8 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:27 AM

thats it...easiest way is to take a big flat head and put the tip inside the small area between the actual clip and the tube itself and twist driver sideways it will come off pretty easily....your cam drive doesn't look bad but it needs to be replaced to make everything new....put the old one up for hard times down the road

#9 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:16 AM

Also if you have the spin tube out as it appears you do lightly sand the brake pads just to knock the glaze off them and lightly sand the inside of the brake drum housing and wipe clean with alcohol or brake clean or something of the sort..this will clean it up nicely

#10 Prelude2244

Prelude2244

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:02 PM

Ok, I got it working. I replaced the clutch and that white plastic that is attached to the brake. It now spins.  Thanks a bunch!!!!!

However, when I was removing the agitator I dropped my wrench on the tub and it chipped ( about half an inch). How do I patch this? Do I use some special epoxy or what? Anybody got the link?  Thanks.

#11 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:37 PM

porcelain paint or epoxy will work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics