Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 110.23812100 Type 111

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:17 AM

My Kenmore 110.23812100 Type 111 make a horrid clunking noise while spinning.   Observing with lid open it appears agitator/tub is not properly engaging.  Sounds like a off balance load clunk but it is not balanced.  I have removed cover per instructions found here and do not see any obvious problems.  Transmission/gear box issue?
I never gave anybody hell, I just told the truth and they thought it was hell. - Harry S. Truman

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:26 AM

it's going to be hard to diagnosis a noise...but you are on the right track  so far by opening it up...here are a few things to check

1) read this link on the skate plate....these are very prone for getting out of kilter and will raise more cain than a jackass in a tin barn

2)could be a drive block going bad (underneath the agitator) spin tube goes through it and the whole tub assembly is held down by a screw on lock nut

3)actual spin tube itself

4)broken rear tub stabilizer spring letting the tub lean forward, or the (brown shoes) pads that sit underneath the skateplate asembly that it rides on, whenthey go bad the whole tub moves very easily (too much side to side)

5)lastly could be the clutch or the tranny, I would suggest removing it and running it in spin cycle (jump out the lid switch wires so it will spin with the cabinet off (if it's off) or otherwise just hold the lid down...after removing the agitator lay the machine down and remove the 3 ...1/2 bolts and the tranny assembly will slide out motor still intact

hope this is of some help, if there is anyway you could post the noise it makes that would be a big help.....good  luck

This is the DAY that the LORD has made, REJOICE and be glad in it.....

#3 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

Not #1

Not #2

Not #3

Not #4

Probably #5

Attached Files

I never gave anybody hell, I just told the truth and they thought it was hell. - Harry S. Truman

#4 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

Video of wash machine problem.

#5 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

Brake Assembly

Attached Files

#6 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

Clutch Assembly

Attached Files

#7 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:36 AM

with everything apart grab the white drive cam on the bottom of the spintube and turn it CCW and see if the tub spins smoothly without the noise (if so then you should be good from the spin tube up)...next...do the floor test by plugging the motor harness in with everything but the pump attatched and floor test it without a load on it and see if the noise is present(turn timer to final spin and see what happens) ...more than likely tranny...post back...good  luck

#8 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

Tranny shot, replaced and does not make previous noise as shown and heard in video.  Now however, it makes a loud clicking noise only in the agitation cycle.  Sounds like the brake clicking on and off.  Any suggestions as to what I may have overlooked in putting it back together?

#9 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Coupler between motor and trans. is O.K.?   Also the agitator dogs ?

#10 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:50 PM

I changed out the coupler between the motor and transmission while I changed out the transmission.  I will have to check the agitator dogs, but the sound seems to be coming from bottum side of wash machine.  Any other help from all of you appliance guru's would greatly be appreciated.

#11 Poobah

Poobah

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:13 AM

As Grey Shrek said could be the agitator dogs....grab the top of the agitator and see if it spins freely both ways (if so then the dogs are shot) should turn clockwise and not grab but when turning CCW it should grab (they make a ratcheting sound when bad)

Those new style drive couplers can be alittle tricky when installing....the center metal section can be alittle hard to get to seat flush on the tranny side (motor side seems to go on fine) if it doesn't go on far enough it will make the rubber section cock sideways and can put the whole works in a bind  and sometimes make a burning smell

#12 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 01:24 AM

I believe I may have reversed the clutch reassemble.  I installed clutch basket, wire retaining ring, metal washer, then the "C" clip into grooves on gear shaft over the metal washer.  I believe it should be clutch baseket, wire retaining ring, "C" clip and then the metal washer over all.  Pictures I posted above were of old transmission and I still can't make out weather the "C" clip is over or under the metal washer.

#13 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

[user=4109]mr 409[/user] wrote:

I believe I may have reversed the clutch reassemble. I installed clutch basket, wire retaining ring, metal washer, then the "C" clip into grooves on gear shaft over the metal washer. I believe it should be clutch baseket, wire retaining ring, "C" clip and then the metal washer over all. Pictures I posted above were of old transmission and I still can't make out weather the "C" clip is over or under the metal washer.

Metal/cupped washer goes on top of c-clip. This cupped washer is the thrust support that the bottom of the spin tube rides on.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#14 mr 409

mr 409

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

Metal cupped washer reinstalled to be over "C" clip and clicking noise eliminated.  Thanks to all of your help and to this site for awesome pictures and explanations.

#15 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:49 PM

good job:rah:

#16 MSBRANDON

MSBRANDON

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

Which way does the cup washer face.  There are two tabs on one side of the washer  on mine.  Do the tabs face the c-clip or does it face the the brake cam?  Thanks.

#17 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:35 PM

If we are both thinking of the same thing , the tab faces the "c" clip.

#18 MSBRANDON

MSBRANDON

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

Great....thanks.

#19 dinki

dinki

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:34 PM

thanks tjis just solve my problem also

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics