Jump to content



Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.


Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact


Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums


To get started, click here.


Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

 


Photo

Whirlpool LER4634BQ1


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rjstanis

rjstanis

    Samanera

  • Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:55 AM

Whirlpool LER4634BQ1

Heavy Duty Large Capacity Dryer
120/240 Volts

Motor 4.0 amps
 

Alright, I have a dryer that works but does not heat. Here's the background info:

I wasn't at my apt (actually an old house turned into a duplex) so my roomate described what he had to say. He said he smelled a burning smell when the dryer was on and immediately turned it off. Im not sure exactly what he did, but the next time I tried to use it no more burning smell, and the dryer works just like it did before, but there is no heat.


I tried buying a voltage meter thing from Home Depot. I bought a $30 one thinking since it was digital and had so many other features than the cheap one, that it would be the smarter buy since I am about to buy a house. I can't figure the damn thing out and the directions are really non existent and not worthwhile at all. So I wasn't able to get an accurate reading, but plan on exchanging it for the voltage meter for dummies to try again.

In the meantime, the plug on the dryer looks a bit out of whack. One of the prongs is really black (the others are a pretty copper color) with burning/melting on the bottom of that same prong. Picture included. I also took out the heating element and if I did it right, seems to have connectivity. Could the problem be the plug/outlet?

 Im sure the only way to know for sure is to check with the meter, but I figured I would ask this until I have time to exchange my meter and get back to my apartment (I stay with my gf the majority of the time). Please remember, I am true to the word grasshopper and not the most fix it savvy, but willing to learn (especially being that Im purchasing my first home).

 

Thanks,

Rob

Attached Files



Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

    Sensei

  • Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Location: USA
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 25 April 2008 - 12:47 PM

The dryer motor only need 2 of those 3 connectors on the plug.

The other one is for part of the heater circuit.

I'd start by replacing the dryer cord, but first, take a good look at the dryer outlet.

That may need replacing also.




.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 K-man

K-man

    Sōhei

  • Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Location: USA

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

ive seen that b4...check outlet for loose wire on that prong if ok check that side connection on the dryer, something is loose causing arc and heat  melting your cord thus the odor

#4 rjstanis

rjstanis

    Samanera

  • Chief Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:24 AM

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Ive had wiring problems before in the house. Its old and the landlord half a$$es everything. Im moving out anyways so I'll just let him know. Im going to replace the cord and see if I have any problems in the house I just bought.

 

Being that I'll be buying a house for the first time, I will certainly beback. I love this site and have been using it as a reference for the past 3 years. Thanks again!


#5 denrayr

denrayr

    Sensei

  • Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:07 PM

[user=34284]rjstanis[/user] wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it. Ive had wiring problems before in the house. Its old and the landlord half a$$es everything. Im moving out anyways so I'll just let him know. Im going to replace the cord and see if I have any problems in the house I just bought.

 

Being that I'll be buying a house for the first time, I will certainly beback. I love this site and have been using it as a reference for the past 3 years. Thanks again!

do yourself a favor and replace the outlet along with the cord. By the looks of that cord the outlet is unsafe to use.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact


Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."


The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics