Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool gold gu1500xtlq0 with food filth

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Recently our Whirlpool dishwashers' ability to clean has greatly diminished.  I've taken it apart and cleaned all of the filters and checked the spray arms and they are all clean and the holes are open.  There is still some food on the dishes but there is baked on food all over the top of the tub and along the sides where the rack slides are close to the sides.
There is no air gap device as they are not required in our area.
Since the dishwasher hasn't been cleaning, the dishes are piling up in the sink.
Do all dishwashers have a check valve on the drain line?  I'm starting to wonder if that is the problem.
How do I check the operation of the check valve without ripping it out?
Also I was told there should be a loop (180 degree) in the drain line before go enters the sink drain and this should be as high as possible under the sink.  I don't have this now.  Is this true?

Burried in dishes...

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 03:32 AM

Are you getting enough water in to the D/W? It sounds like not enough water to fully spray everywhere........ Start a cycle let it fill, Open the door as it starts to wash and check the water level, should be below the heating element...... If low, check the water inlet valve screen, it could be partially blocked.  The D/W drain hose should be higher than the point of connection at the disposer/ drain line..Called an air gap. You do not want sink water back filling into your D/W..... No check valve that I know of, BUT with no air gap, grease and other sediments settle in the lowest part of your hose, causing slow or no drain.......

#3 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

also, is the D/W water heater working ?  Does the "heated dry" function work ?

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#4 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 12:12 PM

The heated dry does work and cooks on the food quite well thank you.

The water level is also filling up all the way.  Isn't that controlled by the float?  I wouldn't think that the screen being clogged in the inlet line changing much.

Thanks for the ideas guys.  But so far we don't have a winner.

I washed all of the dishes by hand today and scrubbed the dishwasher clean.  I have a small load in there now and we will see what happens.

Thanks again.

#5 grey shrek

grey shrek

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:08 PM

The d/w gets 2 min. to fill and then the timer moves on to the wash part ---  water or no water. The float is there to stop the unit ftom over filling --- like if the drain didn't work. With all the food in the unit , it sure sounds like food particles in the screen at the macerator(spelling). Some-one here should have a teardown manual for you if you need one. Scrape but do not rinse the plates before going in the d/w.

#6 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 04:27 PM

Whirlpool GU1500XT Service Manual   Posted Image

#7 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:46 AM

I ripped everything apart as far as I could without having the manual and got down to the foreign object protector.  Now that I have the manual I see I should have gone at least down to get a look at the chopper.  The maserator (sp) was full of snot.  I got all that out of there and now it seems to be working fine.  I'll probably rip it apart again tonight down to the chopper to see if there is any junk in there.

Thanks for the repair manual.  That makes a big difference.

Anyone know how strict Whirlpool is with their warrantys?  This d/w says there is a 5 year warranty on the control panel.  The buttons on the control panel are cracked (plastic overlay) and you can't get just the overlay without the whole panel.  The buttons still work, but you can't exactly wipe them clean because water would get into the control board now.

Anyhow, thanks again.

#8 appl.tech.29501

appl.tech.29501

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Waffle House Coffee

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:58 PM

Try calling Whirlpool concumer @ 1-865-470-6800. Have your model #, Serial # and date of purchase handy as you will need this info.
If you would like to make a donation you may do so at the link below

One on one repair help now available !

http://homepage.mac....ppl.tech.29501/

http://twitter.com/ApplTech29501

http://www.facebook.com/ApplTech29501

www.eliteapplianceservice.org

#9 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

after dealing with this thing for the past few months it is now getting worse, so I took it apart again.  This time I went all the way to the chopper.  There was food gunk dried onto everything.  Put it back together and ran a light load and it made everything on the top dirty.  Someone has to know what is doing it.  I've seen people that have the Kenmore and Kitchen Aid versions of this one and they are having the same trouble.

I even paid a repair man to come out and look at it and he said to switch detergent and it should get better.  He couldn't see anything wrong.

Dirt sensor or check valve is the only thing left.

Someone wise help me.

#10 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,873 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 March 2010 - 02:36 PM

Awwite, some washability tips:

- Make sure it's circulating water. I know, this sounds pretty basic but you can't see inside the dishwasher so how do know it's really moving water around? Place a glass in the upper rack right side up. Should mostly fill with water after about a minute or so.

- Makes sure the water charge in the basin is at the right level. About a finger width below the heating element is about right on yours.

- Clean out the water feed tube to the upper spray arm.

- Clean out both spray arms. That means remove and blow out with compressed air.

- Use only powdered dishwashing detergent. Avoid gels and, whatever you do, avoid those goad-forsaken tabs like the plague!

- USE RINSE AID! This is not optional on these newer dishwashers.

#11 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

The water level is up to the heating element (partially submerged).  Wash arms are spinning (if you open up quick they are still turning).  I switched to powdered after repair guy said to get rid of that other junk.  Didn't really make a difference though.  Filled rinse aid but it's still not cleaning the top rack.

I cleaned out the spray arms last time I had it apart.  There wasn't anything really in them that needed cleaned out though.  I do need a new flapper on the feed tube that runs up the back where you can adjust the height of the top rack.  The one is always open (the upper one which we use most of the time).  I've been puting it off since you have to buy the whole assembly which isn't cheap and I don't want to throw money down the drain on this sinking ship.

Any other ideas oh noble one?

#12 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

How does the top spinner look, the little round disc??  spin freely?? It has the small plastic push pin holder, binding on the top spinner?? your unit has a new top spinner , was p/n 8268296 to p/n 8193768   ........  $ 6.00 for a new top sprayer , does the one pictured at repairclinic look like the one in the picture...     if you get down into the impeller area again, look at the impeller, is/are  the vanes free and clear of stuff..I have found beans and such, stuck in the ports of the impeller, which would cut down on the water volume to the spray arms.........................................

#13 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

The spinner on mine is a circle with 2 holes in it.  It doesn't have the fan shape like the part # you listed.  Maybe an improvement?

I'm not sure what impeller you are talking about.  I took apart everything to the chopper and screen.  To get any further you have to remove the sump and I didn't go that far.  I just find it odd that it is recirculating these food particles.  Isn't there something that is supposed to stop the dirty particles from being recirculated?  That's why I thought the check valve might be the problem.

Anyone know if I can replace my supply tube that runs up the back with the newer ones that have the additional spray ports (power scrubber).  I've found these to be cheaper for some reason.  The only hesitation I have is that the recirculating pump might be stronger in these to compensate, but I'm not sure of this.

Thanks...

#14 certified tech group 51

certified tech group 51

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:01 AM

Next time your down cleaning the chopper assy. Remove the chopper assy and you will see a white vane gismo  attached to the motor, that is the impeller...that part is the part that move the water thru the system...if clogged with stuff, water volume is decreased.........I.E. beans, peas, bits of plastic...................  P.S. the upper spray arm, they could have redesigned the part because of bad washability??

#15 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Anyone know where besides the sticker on the inside of the dishwasher you can find the serial and model number for this whirlpool?  My sticker fell off long ago and I can't find the manual.  I looked at the paperwork under the toe kick but there's no mention in there.

#16 edwardh1

edwardh1

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

how does whirlpool get to the top in DW sales?

#17 kdog

kdog

RoughShod

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dickens Cider

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

They actually work quite well when you dont put a bunch of garbage in them - NO dishwashers like the trash
Help us keep the lights on: buy appliance parts here ==> http://repairclinic.com

For service manuals and lots of other goodies, become an Apprentice ==> Apprenticeship

#18 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

[user=2045]mfreshley[/user] wrote:

... model number for this whirlpool?   

post a picture ?

#19 mfreshley

mfreshley

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:43 PM

I know the model is a Gu1500XT but the rest of the numbers depend on the year and revision.  If I'm going to order parts to get this thing 100% I need the exact model.  This thing should just go to the dump but I think all of the D/W out there are junk so I'd just be throwing money away.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics