Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Sub-Zero 642 with Service EC 24 and not cooling

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 brk

brk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 08:27 PM

I have a Sub-Zero 642 purchased with a new house in 2001.  It has had the refrig side evaporator replaced ~2 years ago and the guy who replaced it said they fail frequently, but was replacing it with a "better" one.

It has been displaying "service" and 24 EC for a week or so. Haven't had time to call anyone in yet.  Just noticed this evening that it is reporting the  refirg temp as 45 (set to 35).

Are the high reported temps related to the service code?

Can I repair this myself or is it a sealed system problem?

Thanks!!!

Model - 642/S

Serial -M1826850 / Date Jul 2001

Refrigerant - R134a

I buy all my appliance parts right here with a one year return policy!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

The first thing you should check is to see if the condensor is plugged with dust bunnies.  A simple way to know without even looking is to put your hand on the middle bar of the fridge when you open the door.  It should be slightly warm, but if it's burning hot, you have either a plugged condensor or a bad condensor fan. 

#3 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:58 AM

The "EC 24" is actually a false code which has been in the control board since the factory. It means "defrost underheat" and would actually refer to the freezer if it were a valid code. You can clear the code by pushing and holding the door alarm bell for 15 seconds until you hear a beep. The control board on this vintage model didn't have the correct error code to report so it came up with the last code it knew.

Your actual problem may be condenser/fan related (easy to fix yourself) or could be a sealed system problem (this must be dealt with by an authorized servicer, should be covered by Sub-Zero since the evap was recently replaced).

"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#4 brk

brk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:47 AM

Hi  and thanks!

By middle bar of the fridge, I assume you mean the section between the fridge and freezer? If so, it is slightly warm.  (edit - looking at the fridge section again, I am guessing you mean the top between the door switches - in any case, that is slightly warm as well).

I did just take off the top panel and dust bunnies is a definite possibility. Looks like the little guy from Easter is hiding up there until next time he needs to color eggs.

So I vacuum and reset the warning and see what happens?

#5 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:12 AM

Take off the top grille and the compressor baffle. Make sure the condenser fan is turning, if not it can often be started by a quick push in the correct direction (look at the fan blade shape, it pulls air). If the fan was turning but no air was flowing, the condenser needs to be cleaned. Make sure the unit is off when vacuuming it.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#6 brk

brk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 04:34 AM

The condenser fan was spinning.  Turned it off and vacuumed (it was loaded with dust along the bottom third of the coils). Turned it back on and no change to the temp in 30 min.

Since we moved all the stuff to a secondary fridge, I took out the shelves and took off the back panel. The top left of the coil inside is iced up. There also appears to be an oily residue below the coils on the back wall on the left side. Not sure if from the first time it was replaced or now.

Sounds like time to call the repair folks.  Is this something that I could expect to be covered or is it going to be a big ticket item?

Thanks!

#7 brk

brk

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

Just to close this out...

The system did cool better once I cleaned out the dust, but it still didn't do the job.

the repair person came out and confirmed the system has lost freon.  He ordered me a new evaporator and should be back in operation by tomorrow. Hoping sub-zero will pickup the tab as this is a repeat offender.

#8 jim1872003

jim1872003

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:23 AM

I've had EC-24 a few times, but never had any sealed system repairs done because of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics