Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Update: Frigidaire Front Loader FWT647GHSO - Bearing, Tub Seal, Squeaks

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 wweasel

wweasel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:10 AM

First, thanks to everyone who has already posted good information on this nightmare of a washer.

Symptoms: black marks on clothes. occasional splotches.
First hypothesis: dreaded bearing seal failure

Rear Bearing evaluation:
I took off the rear bearing outer seal, cleaned it with solvent and compressed air, and everything was bright and shiny and quiet. I put the washer back together.

Result: There are two bearings, evidentally. I cleaned the outer. The inner is inaccessible unless you open up the whole outer tub. The inner bearing continues to leak grease on the clothes.

Conclusion: Frigidaire/Electrolux sucks. I called cust svc and got the normal reply: After you fork out for a service call, we'll consider giving you a rebate on a new purchase, or prorate the parts cost, you pay for the labor for the repair.

Thanks guys..... Rob

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,935 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:24 PM

Rob, this has been a horrendous problem with these washers and I completely agree that Electrosux has completely dropped the ball on this. Interestingly, we have the older version of the washer (Gibson brand), been used daily without single problem. Sometime in the late 90's they made a design change to the rear bearing that's causing all these problems.

I'm tempted to say this is designed obsolescence except this would be ascribing too much skill to the Electrosux engineers; I think instead it's another example of engineering incompetence in the appliance world (a la Maytag Neptune).

FWIW, I'm attaching a pdf file that someone made on how to replace the rear bearing.

Attached Files

#3 wweasel

wweasel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

Staber here I come...thanks for the help.

#4 edwardh1

edwardh1

Sōhei

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:37 AM

strange when something is working, usually the company will change something - like get a cheaper vendor, or move production to mexico or china, two words not associated yet with quality.
Have they done another redesign yet to fix it? Or is it even recognized as a problem?

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,935 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

[user=27]edwardh1[/user] wrote:

Have they done another redesign yet to fix it? Or is it even recognized as a problem?

It is weird that they couldn't leave well enough alone.  Friggidaire has expressed no recognition of this problem and I've not seen a service bulletin on it.

#6 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:34 PM

The nuptunes are also having bearing failures. maytag is saying that the seals are failing due to oversudsing.
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#7 wweasel

wweasel

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 06:38 PM

I called Frigidaire and they said the best they could do was some sort of coupon towards another defective washer.  No thanks.

#8 rollingm

rollingm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:00 AM

My 5 year old Frigidaire FL washer is making a roaring noise on the spin which seems too loud. For years it lived in a basement so the noise issue wasn't bad but now it is in the kitchen. I had to replace a broken shock which was evident by a bumpiing noise but the machine still seems loud. Is it on the way to bearing failure? Thanks Mike

#9 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,935 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:47 AM

Sounds like it to me-- I can hear from here!

One visual check in advanced cases is to remove the rear panel and look for the brown goo emanating from the bearing.

#10 rollingm

rollingm

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:16 AM

No brown goo yet, It seems tight with no play.  Just some vibration and noise on high spin. I wondered if I should replace the other shock or the springs to reduce the vibration. I tried leveling the beast but also wondered since it ran unlevel due to the feet being squashed for so long that it doesn't like its new position kind of like a rotated tire. Thanks Mike 

#11 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 27,935 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 05:25 AM

If it is the bearing, there's nothing you can do to mitigate it-- it would just have to be replaced at some point. I would just keep using the thing until it breaks reeeeal good.

#12 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

Thats like a 4 hr job on the frigidare   ... I did alot of them   and I really think just like the Maytag it is an oversudsing issue   ..... HE SOAP people  HE SOAP .....   and 1/4 of a cap .... Please  .... Maytag is changing the seal    Electrolux  I dont see a damn difference at all   ... Even had a HE3  Fail  also   ..... TECH TIP    if you hear the HE3 knocking in spin tighten the pulley bolt very hard and most every time it cures this issue

#13 LLD

LLD

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

I've had this exact same problem with my 4 year old washer - made roaring noise during spin for 6 months then oil stained a whole load of cream towels.
the repair people told me not to bother repairing it - because the job was to big.

I'm loooking into a new washer now - I will definatly call frigidare to complain.

Hss anyone had luck getting anything form frigidaire in terms of compensation?

#14 Crouching Tiger

Crouching Tiger

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

FYI up here in the land of eskimos and hockey frigidaire is supplying complete tub assemblies for $150 CDN.  All you need to do is remove the bellows and cement from your old tub and put it on the new one.  This is good exercise for any grasshopper looking to get their hands dirty.  Give yourself at least 2 hours because you will still need to remove motor, shocks, sump hose and remove speed board so it doesn't get damaged.

#15 dpath

dpath

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:34 AM

I'm experiencing the same loud knocking noise on high spin that others have mentioned but I haven't seen any staining on clothes.  Does this mean that the pulley bolt is loose or the shocks need replaced?  Or can the rear bearings fail without leaking grease into the washer?  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#16 BLTH15

BLTH15

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:55 AM

d- open the front bottom kick panel look for shocks broken. remove rear panel be sure pulley is tight.  also could be something in between tub and basket. if nothing then bearing startin to go

#17 dpath

dpath

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

I've already removed the kick panel.  The shocks aren't broken but is there an easy way to determine if they are worn out?  My next step will be to check the pulley bolt as you've suggested.  Thanks. 

#18 AccApp

AccApp

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

I've yet to see anyone wear the shocks out. Try to shake the inner tub up and down in relation to the outer tub to see if the tub support spider may be broken.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

http://www.fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#19 mcook55

mcook55

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:20 AM

I have a leaking tub seal (clothes stains) and would like to replace it without buying the whole assembly but cannot find a vendor that sells the seals or bearing seal kit separately. It looks like a standard double lipped metric oil seal. Frigijunk Front loader FWT647GHS0 Thanks.
Mike Cook
Senior Engineer, Cornell High Energy Synchrotron Source

#20 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

Frigidaire FL Washer Rear Bearing.pdf

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics