Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Goodman condenser unit

ryan_g

Hi all, I had a serviceman come out the other day because one of my 2 units was heating up and stopping the blade.  I had checked the capacitor and it looked fine.  He replaced the motor and cleaned the other unit and added freon.  Later that day, when I got home from work - I noticed that the other unit (for downstairs) would make a noise kind of like if someone stuck a piece of plastic into the blade for a couple seconds, then would stop.  It makes this noise every few minutes.  I called the service guy back and he came out and declared that I should let it run until it goes completely out and I would need a new unit for about $3200 - $3500.  For some reason I wasn't surprised. 

My first thought was that he didn't screw the blade in properly or something along those lines.  Let me also add: this unit is for the downstairs of an approx 2000 sq ft house, and it never seems to keep the downstairs cooled during the hot months.  Only at night does it "catch up" and get it cool downstairs.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOU NEED A SECOND OPINION   : i have been doing service work for 30 years and when i have a problem that will result in a 3500.00 $ bill i allways explain the reason the unit is going bad , not just ITS JUNK YOU NEED A NEW ONE !  you should have asked what is bad and why ?    sometimes the homeowner does not want to know anything , but we will allways tell them anyway .............you need another contractor to look at it , if the noise only happens sometimes get a lawn chair and a tape recorder and try to record the sound ..........good luck

Your blade is obviously striking something.  Check to see if there is any wiring that is loose or unsecured that is being lifted up into the blade area during the run cycle.

Check the shroud (venturi) around the blade to see if the blade is striking/scrubbing the sides somewhere.

Check down below the blade and make sure that there is not some piece of copper in the way or pipe strapping  (typically used to attach sensor bulbs to copper lines) sticking up. 

While you are there and the unit is stopped, inspect the blade petals for cracks  - especially where they are rivited to the hub.

These are some typical suspects to check for.  Blade inspection will tell you if the strike is on the blade tips, lead edge, trailing edge, etc.  This will direct you to the correct direction for further inspection.

• 2 months later...

[user=16896]dkpd1581[/user] wrote:

Your blade is obviously striking something.  Check to see if there is any wiring that is loose or unsecured that is being lifted up into the blade area during the run cycle.

Check the shroud (venturi) around the blade to see if the blade is striking/scrubbing the sides somewhere.

Check down below the blade and make sure that there is not some piece of copper in the way or pipe strapping  (typically used to attach sensor bulbs to copper lines) sticking up. 

While you are there and the unit is stopped, inspect the blade petals for cracks  - especially where they are rivited to the hub.

These are some typical suspects to check for.  Blade inspection will tell you if the strike is on the blade tips, lead edge, trailing edge, etc.  This will direct you to the correct direction for further inspection.

Second that!

Cleaned up peoples messes before where they didn't pull the wires tight and secure them in the service compartment.

That little plastic tube those wires run through [from the f-motor to the wall] will start to sag and most definitely hit the blades of the fan!!! Just hope they do not get tangled, if so be the case.

Archived