LIMITED TIME OFFER: Use code 10YEARS10 to get 10% off your Appliantology membership. Click here for more ×
Click here to check out this guide.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Bought portable AC unit: how do I install it?

phedre

So I finally broke down and bought a portable air conditioner. If anyone cares, it's a Delonghi Pinguino, but that's not really relevant to this post.

My problem is this: what do I need to install this sucker? I've had a piece of plexiglass custom cut to fit my window and the guys at the hardware store gave me "Zip Seal n Peel" to seal the plexiglass window in place, but it seems to be useless. I've applied it twice already, and both times the window has fallen out after I've stood there holding it for five minutes. There's ZERO information on drying and curing time on the packaging, all it says is "drying time depends on temperature, humidity, and ventilation" so I just stayed there holding it til the sealant felt dry, but no luck.

At this point I'm ready to duct tape the damn thing in place, and all the sealant has given me a headache. So frustrating!

ETA more detail: the peel n seal just isn't going to work to hold the window in place at all. It peels off with no effort at all, and is only meant for short term usage. Why he gave me that is beyond me. I can't nail the plexiglass in place - it's basically taking the place of my window screen, seated into the window screen's slot. I think all I should need is a proper silicone based sealant, but I'm not 100% sure.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the model number of the A/C ?

What kind of window is this installing in ?

Why do you need the plexi-glass ?

Can't you just open the window a few inches and place the window bracket in place as mentioned in the installation instructions ?

[user=3641]RegUS_PatOff[/user] wrote:

What's the model number of the A/C ?

What kind of window is this installing in ?

Why do you need the plexi-glass ?

Can't you just open the window a few inches and place the window bracket in place as mentioned in the installation instructions ?

It's a Delonghi Pinguino PAC A120E, a portable unit which does not sit in the window itself.

It's being installed in an awning style window, which is why the plexiglass is necessary. I've attached an image of a similar window, though mine is much wider. If it were a simple sliding window it'd be easy: stick up the installation kit that comes with the AC unit and good to go, but with a large awning window, the entire window opens if you crack it. In order to install the model correctly it requires a plexiglass piece custom fit to the window, with a cut out for the window exhaust adapter.

post-33396-129045102581_thumb.jpg

post-33396-129045102911_thumb.jpg

[user=32234]grey shrek[/user] wrote:

Clear silicone?  Superglue? Clear tape?

is this a rental property ?

Is there another double-hung windows at all ?

You can buy silicone that is a caulk, adhesive and a sealer all in one. The trick is you need to rig up some sort of support to hold it while it cures. Your installation is fairly unique, you'll have to invent your own hook up pieces.

Nick

Wow dude is this the new split system?

To answer a few questions:

- I own a condo, not renting.

- It's not a split system.

- There are no other styles of windows in the place, it's all casement style windows.

I ended up going with a combination of the silicone sealant with clear duct tape to hold it in place while it cured. That seems to have done the trick! It's not the most elegant solution, but it works. I'll post a picture once I get back to Montreal!

• 1 month later...

Not very fond of these myself! [portables]

If you own the condo, I would suggest a mini-split which is what I think applianceman was/is refering to.

Archived