Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Maytag MCG8000 (Drying Center Blows Cold Air)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tech_head

tech_head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

Oh Great Samurai,

A humble apprentice seeks help.
I have a MCG8000 - Maytag Drying Center that blows cold air in the bottom dryer only. The upper cabinet is fine.

I have called local repair people. Most have no experience with this dryer, so I might as well tackle it myself. I am quite handy and have a MSEE so I think I can handle this.

When turning the dryer on I hear the first click but never a second where the gas should come on.

I have pulled the dryer from the wall and inspected to make sure there is no lint buildup in the duct. I have also pulled the trap and used a flashlight to make sure there is no lint that has fallen beyond the trap.

I have also operated the dryer away from the wall w/out the duct with the same result. - Cold Air

The top cabinet works great so I'm not sure where to go next besides pulling the whole thing apart.

I have the service manual from Maytag.

Any suggestions on this model??

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

Just a normal dryer down below.  First you will want to make sure your thermistor is within specs and that the unit does not think there is no need to heat.  You can put the unit into diagnostics to show the temp it thinks it is (page 13 of the tech manual).  If you are reading correctly, next thing to do is fire her up in time dry and see if the igniter glows.  If it does not, take a voltage test there, across both, and each to ground.  You should have 120VAC across the two. If you do and the igniter did not glow, bad igniter. If you do not, go each to ground to see which leg you have lost to split our future testing in two.  If you have nothing across, and nothing either to ground, we have a L1 loss, if nothing across and 120VAC to ground, we have a neutral loss.  If the igniter does glow, does it stay glowing or shut off?  

Tech Sheet

http://www.servicema...cs/16023137.pdf

If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#3 tech_head

tech_head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:24 AM

Hi,

I have run the diag. and the dryer thinks it's 85 deg. Fahrenheit.
The temp looks accurate based on ambient temp. Based on that, I will guess that the thermistor is not faulty because he temp reading is okay and i would be telling the dryer to heat up.

I have not checked the ignitor yet.
But looking at the schematic and based on the troubleshooting guide, I should be checking the following parts:

The igniter does not glow. If the igniter does not heat
up, remove power and using an ohmmeter, check the
following:
• Open flame sensor
• Open igniter
• Shorted booster coil
• Open wiring
Igniter glows - No gas ignition. If the igniter heats up
but the main burner flame is not ignited, remove power
and using an ohmmeter, check the following:
• Open secondary coil
• Open holding coil
• Open wire harness

We don't get to gas ignition because I never hear the second click.
I'll check these things.

Thanks and I'll report back.

#4 Trying to help

Trying to help

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

85 is golden on the thermistor circuit, should be calling for heat.  The checks listed though accurate will have you running around to find your problem.  The manual does not like to quote voltage tests for legal.  The problem is components can fail and still show perfect (read through carbon, pitted contacts on switches, blown resistors on boards etc).  By starting at the igniter and seeing what you have or don't have will either find your problem with one test, or cut the circuit in two narrowing your search.  Missing neutral, flame sensor, motor centrifugal switch.  Missing L1, tstats, board.  This will narrow down your field and get you up and running within a few tests.
If we saved YOU Beer $$ today, please make a donation to our beer fund by clicking the link below to help keep this site going. I charge $135.95 PLUS PARTS to do this repair!$! http://fixitnow.com/beerfund.htm

#5 tech_head

tech_head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Thanks.

Looks like I'll be pulling it apart tonight.
Hopefully won't be too bad.
Wish they had put an access panel in the back. 8-(
Obviously they did not think about making it easy to troubleshoot w/out pulling the whole thing apart.

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:21 AM

[user=6196]tech_head[/user] wrote:

Wish they had put an access panel in the back. 8-(
Obviously they did not think about making it easy to troubleshoot w/out pulling the whole thing apart.

Bottom part of this unit is basically a Neptune dryer. Our illustrious leader has postulated on this subject before:

http://fixitnow.com/...-revelation.htm

Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 tech_head

tech_head

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

Hi,

Thanks.
I have it apart.
No ignitor glow. I get 110 to the ignitor when I turn on. Ignitor open.

Now to get the part.
Local parts distributors don't have it in stock.

Maytag actually includes the repair manual behind the control panel.

It's easier to disassemble than the read.
Takes about 5 minutes to gain access.
Less to test for the ignitor.
Looks like I will need to pull the burner to get to the ignitor.
The screws are at the wrong angles to replace with everything in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics