Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Debating relative merits of new refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 waterboy

waterboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rogue Juniper Ale

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:23 AM

So, I have a GE that has the infamous "muthaboard" issue. I am debating buying a used Kenmore or Whirlpool (both about 3-5 years old and in good working condition), since I can get either one of them for about the same amount as the board and yet another new evap fan motor assembly and thermistor. Anyone have any preferences on what fridge brand you hear the smallest amount of horror stories about? My main concern is that after the big repair, the GE shorts out the board again, or blows its compressor, or something of the like - I feel like I have a dog that has started unpredictibly biting people.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:35 AM

I don't know the answer, but if you post the Kenmore model number, I can tell you who made it.

And it may help others to answer if you posted the Whirlpool model number.

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#3 waterboy

waterboy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Rogue Juniper Ale

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:52 AM

I will try to get them for you this week when I go and look at them. I'm thinking the Kenmore freezer top, since it would become a good kegerator when I get my dream LG french door...

#4 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:21 AM

did you check the GE's Defrost Heater & Defrost Thermostat as mentioned in your other post ?

some future info:  LG Refrigerators (and other) Service Manuals  Posted Image

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,054 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:27 AM

I'd stick with Whirlpool-built fridges. Not that they're awesome or anything like that, but because, for now, they seem to suck the least of all the common brands.

Before you hand over any money on a used fridges, you should get some eyeballs on the evaporator coil inside the freezer with the compressor having been running for at least an hour. If there are any weird frost patterns, you want to know about it now before you give your money and take it home 'cuz a sealed system problem is a deal killer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics