Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

13yr old Kenmore 10hr defrost timer clicking, frig cycling on and off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CTRATH

CTRATH

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

13yr old Kenmore 10hr defrost timer clicking, frig cycling on and off. Should I buy a new defrost timer or accept it's time to move on to a new box. Looking at $65 for part. How do I know if the dt is the real problem. Could the clicking be caused by some other trying to die part? :violin:Have my eye on a new GE s by s just in case it's time. It's a GE# 26.64 found only at Sam's Club Warehouse. Any thoughts on either the needed repair for my oldie or the purchase of a sweet new GE would be appreciated.

Thanks

ctrath

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:27 PM

Model number,????  need to see who made this for Sears.  What is clicking on and off. Defrost timer???  Compressor???  What part you thinking to buy for $65.00. sure would not be a defrost timer, they are under $30.00.   You need to see where the clicking is coming from, pull the box out and remove the back panel to see if it is from the compressor.  And keep on walking on past that G.E. you have your eye on unless you plan on buying  a very long extended warranty to cover the repairs on this box.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:42 PM

http://www.bringgoodthingstolife.org/

#4 CTRATH

CTRATH

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for your very prompt response. Model 106.9535781. Looked up part on Sears web site and also Repair Clinic. RC was actually $73, did see confirming photo of part there. I disassembled the control panel to access the dt and confirmed it was the clicker. I am assuming this is the problem since it is the part that is clicking.

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,835 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:40 PM

Ahh, this is an Adaptive Defrost Control Board, NOT a mechanical defrost timer. 

http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=844415

13yr old Kenmore 10hr defrost timer clicking, frig cycling on and off

Do you mean the compressor is clicking on and off, trying to start?  If so, this may be a start relay at the compressor.  They were famous for self-destructing.

As a side note, I doubt this refrigerator is 13 years old-- no one was using ADC boards back then.

#6 CTRATH

CTRATH

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:45 AM

Forgive me O Grand Master. Purchased frig when I got married. Managed to locate original parts list and the copyright is '93. Part is listed as defrost timer however I like your name for it. The link you supplied does indeed show the part. http://www.repaircli...?R=154&N=844415. When I exposed it I could hear ADCB itself clicking. Please advise Master. Buy part or punt?

#7 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 17 July 2005 - 06:24 AM

Do not buy a GE.

I would not junk a machine for want of a part less than 100$, Many of these machines can have a mechanical timer installed instead of the original board. But, it's not an authorized repair method.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics