Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

chameleon68

Kenmore Trash Compactor Woes

3 posts in this topic

After searching 20 pages of posts, I realize that I must have the last trash compactor on Earth! (either that or everyone else has a working model)

I have a VERY old Kenmore trash compactor that came with the house when we bought it so I'm not sure exactly how old it is, but I'm pretty sure it's over 10 years. I don't know the model number and I doubt I can get to it at the moment.

After turning it on to "compact", the noise got the attention of my grandson who kept turning the button to compact it over and over again. My husband decided he should just take the button off (theoritically a good idea, but in practice it was a disaster!). When he did, a washer came off as well. Then my grandson just kept poking his fingers in the hole left by the button. This just pushed all sorts of things down to where they shouldn't be and I can't get the button back on. The really bad part is that the ramming part was only halfway up so we can't open the door to empty the trash that's in there.

Can anyone even tell me where to start???

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Will need a model number to able to help. 

Some battles may not be worth fighting.  If it's very old, maybe it's time to think about replacement.

Alas, replacement isn't an option at the moment. Just a couple more years and the kitchen gets an overhaul. Till then, I just have to work with what I have.

The good news is that I managed to get the door open enough to find the model number: 665.1398581

If I can get the front off the top part of the compactor, it shouldn't be a problem to fix. I'm pretty sure it comes off, but I don't see any screws or clips.