Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Profile Performance Refrigerator

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cnewk

cnewk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:25 PM

I have a GE Profile Performance Refrigerator. I have no idea how old it is. We just bought our house a couple months ago, and the previous owners left no owner's manuals for anything. The back has the code TFX25PP on it.

It looks like the solenoid valve is leaking. (I found this other thread for http://applianceguru...forum1/180.html that had this picture of a solenoid valve).

http://www.partselect.com/assets/partimages/304368_2_M.jpg

(I don't know if this is the exact same model, but it looks the same)

I took the back panel off, and the water seems to be coming from this valve. It is really hard to get a good look at, since it is low and tucked pretty well. It didn't appear that it was a specific connection that was leaking, but the valve it self. I may be wrong, it was pretty hard to tell for sure.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm wondering if I need to get a new solenoid valve, and if they are difficult to install. Also, all the water lines are plastic, which I know is bad. Is changing to copper advisable or is that just more work to fix something that isn't broken (the plastic tubes don't seem to be the problem right now).

Thanks.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:33 PM

You'll need to get back there with a flashlight and look reeeeal close-like to see if the leak is coming from the valve itself or from cracked tubing. If it's from the valve, then git you a new one.

#3 cnewk

cnewk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:44 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the valve. I had crawled back there with a flashlight and a mirror (I couldn't see much of the valve with out the mirror). The water dripped from one of the screws.

Is this valve a real difficult thing to replace?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 07:24 PM

[user=230]cnewk[/user] wrote:

Is this valve a real difficult thing to replace?

A single mug on the SUDS scale. Piece of pie, comrade!

#5 cnewk

cnewk

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:17 AM

Cool. Thanks!

#6 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:14 AM

The one thing that catches people out with this kind of job is the increasingly common "John Guest" fittings which connect the tubing to the valve. All you have to do is push down on the coloured part and the tube will pull out. Similarly, push this part down while re-inserting the tubing, it is designed to hold it once you let it go.
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#7 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

When you install that valve do your best to avoid cramming those tubes against the hot compressor or your repair will only be temporary.

#8 weekender

weekender

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

Great site... I ordered a new valve(wr57x10051) from sears ($ 50.89 after shipping) and was wondering about the hook-up.   The fittings spooked me.

Your advice... "All you have to do is push down on the coloured part and the tube will pull out. Similarly, push this part down while re-inserting the tubing, it is designed to hold it once you let it go."

... will be very helpful.  THANKS !!!!  Back to the suds!

#9 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

Suds are cool

#10 weekender

weekender

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:08 AM

Repair was a snap.  Very easy.  BUT had a concern. GE had a note in micro type about removing old bracket and slipping it between the new valve and bracket... I didn't.  The new bracket seemed to fit perfectly.  

Question1: Does the angle of the valves matter? There seemed to be a slight angle to the old bracket.

Question 2: I am only getting 5 out of 8 cubes per cycle... I am assuming I need more water per cycle. Right?  How do I adjust?

Question 3: What's the best suds brand for this kind of job... or will any suds do?

#11 Lurker_upset@GE_*

Lurker_upset@GE_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

I also have a leaking GE Profile  Side by side refrigerator, TPX24BPDBB, purchased Oct 2000. My problems started  about 16months ago when I woke up to a major puddle which eventually damaged my brand new hardwood floor.  I wrote a complaint letter to the following. GE fixed the leak and I was able to file a claim with GE insurance company for repair of my floor. 

[size=Jeffrey Immelt,][/size][size=Chairman CEO,][/size][size=G.E. Company,][/size][size=5135 ][/size][size=Easton][/size][size= Turnpike,][/size][size=Fairfield][/size][size=, ][/size][size=CT][/size][size=    ][/size][size=06431][/size][size=][/size]

Last week the refrigerator was leaking again. I contacted GE customer service however this time I was only allowed to get a replacement valve at a discounted price.  Now that I am fixing the problem myselt, I found that the valve is leaking and the cheap plastic tubing has become brittle and broken.  Obviously the repairman a year ago put it too close to the hot condensor.  I am planning on splicing in a new tubing since I don't know how to replace the whole tubing.

I am sharing because I believe this is a common problem and GE is aware of all these refrigerator leaks. A class action suit would teach them to design their products better (or perhaps they just don't care and want this "built-in" breakage so people will buy new refrigerators).  My last Whirlpool lasted 15 years and the only reason we replaced it was for the kitchen remodel and better efficiency.

#12 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,806 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:48 PM

Good info, upset, but your letter lost something in the translation.  You're welcome to re-post it. 

#13 Lurker_Upset@GE_*

Lurker_Upset@GE_*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

To write to GE and get results:

Jeffrey Immelt, Chairman CEO,GE Company

5135 Easton Turnpike, Fairfield CT 06431

The plastic tubing that runs into the solenoid was so brittle that by simply bending it with your fingers, it just snaps in two. I ended up replacing the whole valve set because the tubing snapped and the end remained inside the valve and it is very difficult to remove the remaining end without ruining the inner gaskets on the valve.

As far as I'm concerned the design is flawed because the plastic tubing runs alongside the hot condensor. My refrigerator was only 5 years old and the plastic tubing was all yellow and burnt.

It probably was done by the last GE repairman about 14 months ago, when he shoved the solenoid assembly back into the refrigerator.

I was wondering if there is a similar electrical problem, (i.e. heat causing the wires to fail)  because many of the wires that run into this solenoid, and even the main 110 volt power cord runs awful close to the big hot condesor?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics