Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

F1 after self clean, how to open a locked door to check sensor

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf

Wolf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:41 AM

My wife did the self clean thing, now we have the F1 code, as well as a locked oven door. After opening the back to gain access to the clock board, and removing the flat cable, power back on and I get the beeps and F1 code still. After reading here and elsewhere, I tend to think it's the temp sensor. But the oven door is locked! So, is there a trick to get it open so I can check the sensor?

BTW, this has been the best site I have visited regarding my problem. It will be even better if I can get the oven fixed because of this site.

John

Jenn-air range model JGR8855ADS

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:30 AM

Be thankful that you're is the manual locking assembly-- these are much easier to break into than the autolocks. 

You may have to disassemble from the top downward to get access to the door lock assembly.  I seem to recall that on some of these Jenn Airs, I could get into a locked door by removing the grill just below the control panel and manually actuating the lock assembly.   You may also be able to use a coat hangar to unclip the lock catch.  It's a small, subtle catch, so it doesn't take much force. 

Once you get the door open, you should replace the door lock assembly.

#3 Wolf

Wolf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:35 AM

Thank you! for the quick reply. So I should replace the door lock assembly in addition to the temp sensor (provided it test bad)?

Thanks again,
John

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 09:38 AM

Yes, you replace any and all parts that are bad.  The door latch assembly is bad prima facia because of the stuck door.  The sensor will prove to be either good or bad once you get your meter on it.

#5 Wolf

Wolf

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 11:58 AM

OKAY! It works! Here's what I did. I opened the door with a coat hangar (very quick and easy), the latch was at the top in the center and was locked to the right (facing the front of the door), and it was spring loaded.

Removed the temp sensor and took a ohm reading, 24k! So I replaced the sensor (a shop in town was open today, Sunday) and plugged in the cord. Voila! The door latch slowly retracted and all is good.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,061 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

:dude::party:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics