Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Freezer coil frozen up only in corner

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bassinmax

bassinmax

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:43 PM

After reading various post and concluding that Ihad a defrost problem, a new timer, a new thermostat, and wishful thinking failed to fix the lack of my refrigerator/freezer producing enough cold. Futher investigation suggest that my problem is something other than a defrost issue. Another post from TNhunter, Jul 2, sounds similar however I do not have the heat issue. My freezer coil frost/freezes up in the upper corner while the rest of the coil is bearly cool. (I'm guessing the remainder of the coil's coolness is due to the ambient temp of the freezer compartment and not from freon). Both the fan in the freezer compartment and under the refrigerator are running. Feeling around base on all four sides, there are no warm spots. The air blowing out the front and rear vents is room temperature. The compressor coil is clean. The resistance of the calrod element is 23 ohms. The compressor is working (maybe half-hearted) since frost will build up after melting the frozen section with a hair dryer. This unit is 14 years old.

Is this a 'low on freon' problem (wishful thinking) or a more serious problem where I need to be doing wishful shopping?

My deep freeze died last week and based upon the burnt rubber smell, I'm assuming that this one is dead but that is another topic.

Attached below is a picture of the frozen coil. The fan is turning dispite the stop-action of the camera.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:51 PM

You have a sealed system problem, either a bad compressor or low on freon.  See if it is under warranty as this will be a very expensive repair.  This compressor should have a 5 year warrant but look in your use and care book to see if this is so., may be longer with KA.  This frost pattern looks like a compressor problem but you will have to have a professional check this out.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics