Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana ALW480DAW Washer - Loud noise during spin cycle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 New Guy

New Guy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

About two days ago, my Amana alw480daw washing machine has started acting up during the spin cycle. The regular wash cycle goes just fine, but during the spin cycle, rather than actually spinning, the tub moves very little while the machine makes a very loud ratcheting sound. To figure out what was causing the noise, I removed the front panel and let the machine do its thing while I watched below. I quickly found out where exactly the noise was originating from, but I'm clueless as to how to proceed from here. I've attached a picture of the mechanism where all the noise is coming from. To my newbie eyes, it looks like it's doing what it's supposed to, but that can't possibly be right. During the wash cycle, the belt spins the shaft counterclockwise, and the top and bottom piece in the center of the photo grip each other, like it's obviously supposed to. During the spin cycle, the shaft is rotated the opposite direction, and the two pieces slip past each other, producing that loud sound.

Some extra info in case it helps:
    -The interior has no obvious signs of rust or leakage
    -The belt is breaking/shredding in a couple of spots. It still appears to be working as intended, but I plan on replacing it regardless of whether it's the cause of this particular problem or not.
    -When I try to spin the tub by hand, it doesn't move freely. I have to grip it with both hands to get it moving in either direction. I don't recall whether it's supposed to or not, though, but I figured I should mention it here just in case.

I'm sure I would be able to replace any needed parts on my own as long as the procedure is not overly complicated, but other than replacing a broken drain hose, I don't have any experience repairing a washing machine. If anyone has a solution, please explain it with this in mind. Thanks.

Attached Files

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Dunkin Donuts Coffee

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

That part you took the picture of is the HELIX. You will need to replace it, it's fairly straightforward.
Scott Wolf

#3 New Guy

New Guy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:27 PM

I did notice that it's a bit worn, but I figured the noise from the helix could have been just a symptom of the problem and not the cause. Alright, so I've got to replace the helix. Do I also have to get a new transmission drive pulley to go with it?

#4 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:33 PM

It might be a good idea to replace the transmission pulley while you are at it.
Scott Wolf

#5 New Guy

New Guy

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

Okay, I got all the parts today (helix, belt, and pulley) and managed to figure out how to get them into the machine. It was alot more work than I was hoping it would be, since I had to disassemble pretty much the entire thing to get to where the parts go, but I got everything in there and put it back together just fine. I tested it out and, so far, it works perfectly. The spin cycle is back to normal. Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#6 Scottthewolf

Scottthewolf

Senpai

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 03:51 PM

You're welcome, that's what we're here for.
Scott Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics