Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

cathyfc

Whirlpool Dryer will not stay on

8 posts in this topic

I have a whirlpool dryer that is about 6-7 years old and is turning off after a few minutes of running. The clothes are warm, so the heat is coming on. After it turns off it will not come back on until the dryer has had time to cool down and sometimes the dryer will have a hard time starting at all, sounding like the drum is stuck.

I have checked the thermal fuse and the thermastats.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can give me on what to check next.

Model Number LGR7646EQ1

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

If nothing has the drum jammed sounds like the motor is going bad, overheating and cutting out on the overload, then running again when it cools down.  Do not hold the start switch when it does not want to start and is trying as this could make the motor catch on fire.

I thought that might be the answer, How hard is it to replace the motor?

Not too bad, this link shows you how to take the dryer apart, use the instructions for the lint finter on the top.

In the picture that the article points to it says something about not being able to get the blower wheel off sometimes and having to cut it off. is this the Pully on the motor shaft?

No, it's the blower on the other end, hidden in the blower chute.  Usually, it comes off using this technique:

wpdry106.jpg?dc=4675411645374921991

If not, then you'l have to remove it destructively and install a new blower. 

This is referring to the plastic blower wheel in the vent housing, behind the wall in this photo, not the metal belt pulley on the front of the motor. ;)

I see that now. Now the problem is getting the blower off the motor!!!