Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

20 year old Amana side by side

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:44 AM

Hello unbelievable wise one and kind person to help us all....I have a 20 year old Amana side by side..model number SLDT25HL.  I noticed last week when I put some steaks {I would have invited you but you live too far} in the fridge to thaw that they thawed by the next morning.  Very unusual.  So I checked the fridge temp...50 degrees  YIIIIIIIIKES!.   I immediately went underneath and super cleaned the coils.  Temp then went to 40 degrees quite fast.  But that is as low as I can get it to go.  The freezer is at 10 degrees and no matter how I fool with the dials...that is the best it will do.  I see no ice in the freezer vents...I turned the defrost timer  and it went to defrost for thirty minutes and then the fridge kicked back on...all fans are running and no water dripping in pan when not in defrost cycle.  I read you defrost problems and did all the checking I know to do.  I took the back off and vacuumed all the crud out of there too.  Defrost timer has been ticking for years....but the defrost cycle seems to be working okay.  No ice build up in freezer.  HELP....should I just dump this thing and get a new one??????   Or is 40 degrees okay.....seems borderline to me, but I am no wise one for sure when it comes to appliances...I still cannot set the time on the vcr.  Also compressor and all seem to be running and it doesn't seem to run constantly...it will shut off now and then..  Thank you Thank you Thank you in advance.

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:43 AM

Ah, I would have loved to have some of the mad cow steaks but it sounds like they're ruined now. 

Have you removed the inside back panel in the freezer?  Need to get eyeballs on the evaporator coil to see how much or how little it's frosted over.  Post a picture.  

#3 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:33 PM

where are you located? do you have A/C if you are in the midwest then welcome to the it just don`t seem to work class  heres to deal due to unuasual low humidity levels and a abnormal hot and dry summer most (old and new ) refigeration systems are being taxed to the max  it sounds like your unit is working as it should / just that it is trying to remove more heat than normal try this set the ref at 5 and set the freezer at 2 this is helping my customers but i have explained to all don`t look for the ice maker to produce but about 50% understanding the refigeration is focused on the stored product not the accy`s

p.s. i suppose you don`t find yourself open and closing the door more often, 

SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#4 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:09 AM

[user=1635]jahjahbinks[/user], you're makin' us work too hard to understand what you're saying!  :beating:

Sentences end with a period.  USE 'EM!

#5 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:22 AM

Well, I am not sure I have the smarts to take off the inside of the freezer panel to check the coils...looks like I have to take the icemaker off first, and being a female...I am sure it will take me three times as long and all my stuff will thaw.  I did however put on a new defrost timee  a few days ago...no change. I can peek through the little slats and it really does not look like there is ice buildup....it goes into defrost, but there is thin frost on side of freezxer inside.  Freezer still at 10 degrees and fridge still at 40. Looked at new ones yesterday.  Is a Kenmore that is made by Whirlpool as good as just a Whirlpool?  I am afraid I will buy a new one and it will only be 10 degrees and 40.  I had a GE once I took back cause the milk would never get cold.  I am scared I will spend all that money and end up with no better than what I have.  Things just don't seem to be as good as they used to be...thanks all...will wait for more answers.

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:52 AM

You CAN take apart the freezer!  C'mon, this is appliance repair, not brain surgery.  Unplug the fridge, take out the shelving and remove the obvious screws to take out the back wall.  The evaporator is right there.  Budda bing, budda boom.  If it looks like this, replace  the defrost thermostat

#7 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:16 AM

Okay, Okay...I'll do it, BUT  another thing....I looked for the thermostat, and nobody has one, they say they do not recognize my model number....is the one you posted a picture of going to work, or is that just any old picture....off to take the freezer apart...thanks Samurai

#8 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 12:44 AM

The defrost thermostat/terminator that Saumurai directed you to in the above post is the correct one for your refrig, but unfortunitly for you RepairClinc doesn't have it in stock. I don't know how long to receive from RepairClinic when not in stock at their disturbution points.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#9 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:45 AM

Okay, I am sorry, but I think I need more help.  I took panel off...there was hardly any ice on coils, but I melted it with hairdryer.  I have plugged it back in, so I guess I will see what happens.  If the freezer still does not go below 10, and the fridge still does not go below 40...what would be my next step.  I am sorry to keep pestering, but I want to try all things reasonable before I buy new.  I have the strange feeling that the new ones are still not as good as the old ones and I may still end up with 10 in the freezer and 40 in the fridge. Thanks...I will wait for replys.

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:22 AM

If the coils were not clogged with ice and the box will not get below 10 and 40 and the compressor is running all of the time sounds like you have a sealed system problem.  Yes  Kenmore made by Whirlpool is just as good as a Whirlpool....BUT ....  you have to deal with Sears for any warranty issues...:(....this might be a problem waiting 1-2 weeks while every thing ruins....see about a Whirlpool/Roper/Estate/KitchenAide.

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 01:05 PM

thanks for reply...compressor doesn't run contantly...it shut off and on....just checked...freezer is still empty but is at 8, but will probably go back to 10 when I reload it.....fridge still at 40....but compressor does kick on and off...would that still be a sealed problem....could it be the other thermostat....not the one by the coils...but the other one??  I don't really know how serious it is if the freezer will not go below 10....

#12 Stonesfan49

Stonesfan49

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:47 PM

Well...problem solved and you will never guess what it was!!!  I really feel stupid....my THERMOMETER was 10 degrees off..    I stuck it in ice water.....42 degrees.  I went to Walmart and bought a new one...three in fact...  Freezer is at zero and fridge at 32!!!!!!!!!  Thank you for all your help....no wonder we could not fix it....IT WASN'T BROKE!!!  Thanks again...maybe this will help someone else...

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:51 PM

LOL, wow all of this for nothing!!!   Well, glad all is well....:P
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics