Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore Elite ice maker

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:15 PM

Please help me fix my ice maker.   My model # is 106. 89483992 serial # is EL 3234713.  I have cleaned it according to the directions every 6 to 8 months- 3 years old- I just  cleaned it a week ago and it will produce ice, but not in any quantity- not much- seems to be melting faster than it can keep up with itself.  I changed out my sister-in-laws sensor arm and hers works fine now-but her problem was producing too much ice. just trying to save a serivice call if I can fix it my self.

Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Not understanding quite what you are meaning but if the freezer is not very  cold you will not make much ice if any.  If the ice is melting sounds like you need to Call sears if the condenser is clean and the cond. fan motor is running by the compressor.  Seems like you are having problems with the sealed system possibly.  Put thermometers in the food and freezer compartments and see what they are, sounds like the freezer is not cold enough...should be 0 to 10*  when not in defrost.  If the teperaturers are ok post what they are and we will go from there. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:17 AM

This is a free standing ice maker-not one in the freezer-I will check the temps and get back on line later.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:38 AM

Did not look, assumed it was in a frig.  Since this is made by Whirlpool but has the Kenmore name on it we have no way of getting information on this unit.   Perhaps these manuals for the W.P. 15" ice machine will help you with what might be wrong.  If these do not look close, I can see what else might be available from Whrilpool.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#5 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

Wow!  That is my ice maker, but the trouble shooting doesn't really help me-not any of those seem to be my problem.  One thing that stood out in my mind when I was reading the manual- was

Note: It is very important the accumulator is not tilted out of a horizontal position.

Does that mean level or tipped up like on its side or back?  There was a long piece of thin card board under the left side of my ice maker when I pulled it out to clean it -vacuum -unplug etc...I just thought it need to be level maybe in the front too.  The ice maker is sitting on hard wood floor-which is applied to a concrete slab-which is probably not too level?@!#>!  Anyway could it be that minor?   Or is it time to call the sears man?

Thank you so much for your time and help-and especially the manual-I still have my original, but not that detailed.

Cindy

#6 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:49 AM

Posted Image
Condenser clogged with lint in a stand-alone ice machine. Your ice machine won't make ice with a dirty condenser!  Click the picture for larger view.

#7 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:21 AM

Not it either- I am one of those clean freaks- I vacuum- under my refridgerator- washer and dryer and ice maker once a month plus open up anything I can to get the lint/out of-

Any advice on the level question?

C

#8 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,622 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:28 AM

Did you remove the bottom panel of the ice machine and lay eyeballs on the condenser or are you just tawkin' smack?

#9 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:09 AM

You could eat off of it!  Yes I do take off the front panel everytime I clean.  I don't have time to talk smack!

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

:shock:...Guess she told you!!!!!   :?  Like we can know how people out there clean things since we are not there watching them.

#11 denrayr

denrayr

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:01 PM

turn the unit off then empty all of the water out of the reservoir by removing the cap then reinstall it. let sit 24 hours then remove cap again. is their water in the reservoir?
RedRock Appliance Service

435-773-7838

www.redrockrepair.com

Serving St George and Southern Utah

#12 unkel cindy

unkel cindy

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:06 AM

no

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics