Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

4th cheap plastic handle or operator error? Whirlpool Duet

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Shiner Bock

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:37 AM

I need to know if I am installing these handles incorrectly.  There are only 2 screws and I have snugged them down, not over torqued them.  What gives? 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

is it really hard to open the door? if not then maybe she is yanking on the handle too hard

To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.

#3 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:12 AM

It doesn't seem to be that hard.  I would not think it should break these handles, but they are just plastic.  It seems that the design of the handle of the dryer was much better thought out.  Why they are different makes no sense to me.  I have found on another board that others are having the same problem.  I wonder, if I can put a strip of metal to reinforce the handle between the screws, if that would spread out the force of opening the door and have the handle last longer?

#4 Lurker__*

Lurker__*
  • Lurking at the Threshold

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

Hi,

I know what I would do if it was my wife, but that's up to you. :)

All kidding aside I don't see that many broken handles on the Duets.

The dryer does have a better design though and yes it would have been nice if they would have used it on the washer too.

#5 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:49 AM

It definitely is not worth the pain to respond to her in the manner you have implied!  Seriously, do you think that adding a strip of metal would be of any help?  I do not think a washer would be enough.

#6 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:15 AM

Is the latching mechanism adjustable as to the amount of force needed to open the washer?  If so, maybe it is set too strong and that is what breaks the handles???

#7 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

^ actually it is. the catches come in different thicknesses of metal. but if you make it too easy to open the clothes could push it open and machine would cut off

#8 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 09:57 AM

How do I tell which is installed?  If original factory installed, are they all the same from the factory?  What would be the part number for the next one down?

#9 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

the metal part of the catch is painted a different  color and the size is stamped on it. there is a whirlpool part# that has 3 or 4 different sizes in one bag.

#10 wagstdy

wagstdy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:14 AM

The Duet is front-load which implies it has a door locking mechanism when the machine is running.  What's the chance your wife is yanking on the door to throw in some last-minute items AFTER the door has locked?

Along that line of reasoning.....maybe the door handle was intentionally designed as the weak point so people wouldn't break the internal latching mechanism?

Finally, if my first idea is NOT true, what is the chance that the better-designed dryer handle will fit on the washer?  I dunno....I don't own Duets.

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

My Duet washer would be around 6 years old now and still has its original door handle....never had a problem with the washer or handle....but I am very careful with it.....how many are in the family and use the washer???  Is the door out of adjustment?  Does the door latch line up....??  Four broken door handles in what time frame? Sounds like user mis-use to me but we do not know how it is being used by how many people over what time frame either....just asnwering the question that was asked....and asking questions to get a better feel of the situation.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#12 NCSU_laundry_tech

NCSU_laundry_tech

Senpai

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:13 AM

for the last five days i thought this thread was about a duet dryer since they are the ones that break handles. disregard all my post above. hah

#13 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

I think wagstdy is on to something.  We have a new maid and I bet she doesn't realize that the door locks.  I will try another handle before trying anything else.  Now, I just need to translate don't break the ##@!#@% handle into Spanish!

#14 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

Also, when the Washer is Paused or Stopped, the Door won't UN-lock until the Motor Speed reaches 0 RPM

one of my video productions: “Easter Seals: Walk With Me”

every day is Down Syndrome Awareness Day
"A Child Is Waiting" . Burt Lancaster . Judy Garland . 1962

RegUS_PatOff > www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPAY2LsKVEw

#15 wagstdy

wagstdy

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 10:50 PM

Luckily (for you) we cater to those people who don't speak English here in America.  There is undoubtedly a section in your owner's manual written in Spanish so find the part in the English section that says something like, "Don't try to open the door when the 'door lock' light is lit" and then find the corresponding page(s)/picture(s) in the Spanish section and use "pointy-talky" with the maid.

#16 jhruzek

jhruzek

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 02:45 AM

I now noticed a crack in the clear plastic on the hinge side.  I definitely am leaning toward operator abuse of the washer.

#17 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 31 August 2008 - 03:04 AM

""I definitely am leaning toward operator abuse of the washer.""

If the door is being pulled on hard enough to break door handles and crack the plastic on the door think of the damage being done to the door lock itself....surprised it has not been broken already....:?

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics