Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE JVM1430 Microwave OTR powers off when microwavin(and answer)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ihqazi

ihqazi

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:59 AM

I just wanted to update this post from the old forum with the fix.  Ron's post hit it on the head. It turns out it was the magnetron thermal cutout that was going bad. Ron you know your sh*t!  I actually took this to a repair guys shop and somehow between the drive from my home and when the guy was checking it out it started working again(the cutout must of closed). He microwaved a bowl of water repeatedly for several days and it worked in front of me when I picked it up.  Brought it back to my house and it went dead again after installing it and running.  So finally he came out again and discovered it was the thermal cutout and then replaced it.  Been about a week and a half and been working great.

Sent: 3/25/2005 11:36 AM

A little strange problem with my microwave oven.  After my wife had used the microwave oven without incident I put a plate of food in and just after a few seconds of microwaving the microwave just went dead( no lights on display, microwave light out, vent/light not working).  After un plugging and repluggin a few times display comes on again but as soon as I try microwaving it just goes dead.  Went away for weekend and came back still lifeless. Then a day later the display just comes back on. Try running vent and light and they work without fail. However, run the microwave and it goes out.  The display will just resurrect itself and come back a little quicker now but once just opening the door just turned it all off too.  The outlet seems to be fine when using other appliances. There is not metal in microwave, no arcing.  Anyone have any ideas. 
thanks,
Shaam

Sent: 3/25/2005 2:49 PM
Shaam, it's possible you might have a magnetron thermal cutout going bad, under normal operation the cutout remains closed.  At high heat this cutout will open causing the oven to shut down.  This mag thermal cutout is wired across the nuetral leg of power to the board connector....therefore the board will go dead but the vent fan and lights would still operate if this thermal cutout were to open.  This is just one possibility.   This cutout is located above the leads to the magnetron...I'm sure some other techs will have some other ideas...Ron

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 02:44 PM

Ihgazi...right on man,  glad I helped...Ron

#3 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,805 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:11 AM

:dude:

#4 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

G.E has a repair kit for its micro units mag and all but no tstats the mag and stirer has been redesigned 
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics