Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Old Kenmore top freezer Mod. 106.7697462

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 irby

irby

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

OK, while you guys are hot, I have another old fridge that starts frosting immediately after I have cleaned it and restarted it.  I find no water in the fridge bottom or in the evaporating tray underneath. 

Thanks in advance.  Any suggestions?????

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:20 PM

Perhaps you need to explain this better, the evaperator has to get frosty when the system is working properly.  Except when it is in the defrost cycle.  What is getting frosty, how much and how long of a period are you talking about.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 irby

irby

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:49 PM

Sorry, I'll try to be more specific.

The frost on the back of the freezer compartment (the evaporator?) seems to keep building up.  When I last cleaned this area, the condensate drain hole was iced, and I cleared it.  But, it appears that the defroster might not be working properly, as the frost seems to be building up slowly.

BTW, I have added some salt to the area around the drain hole, as someone suggested.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:03 PM

Yes, sounds like you have a defrost problem, need to see if it is the defrost heater, bi-metal or defrost timer.  Check the heater first, under the evaperator, it is glass and they do break.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:11 PM

Is this a flex tray icemaker?If so,your timer is part of the icemaker itself. Has it quit recently?

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,755 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:40 AM

Sure enough, our grasshopper has the old flex tray ice maker with defrost timer built into the icemaker.

Have you by any chance removed the icemaker? This unit will not operate correctly without the icemaker.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 irby

irby

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:31 AM

The icemaker is still in place, but it is not connected to a water supply.  I will checkout the heater during the next cleanup.

Thanks a bunch!!

#8 irby

irby

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

Oh, BTW, I have the icemaker switch in the off position,   also.

#9 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

Irby, when you go to clean your evaporator again,take the icemaker loose, turn it aroundand you'll see a slot in the back of the i-m. Turn it slowly with a slotted screwdriver until you hear it click.This is defrost.Wait a few seconds and then listen closely. If you hear the sound of ice cracking (similar to pouring tea over ice cubes)then your heater is working. I call this my poor man's amprobe. And get that salt out of there! That's just to help open your drain.

#10 irby

irby

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:51 AM

Thank you very much for this advice.  I will do just that!  The salt  :D WILL go.!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics