Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

GE Dryer Inside Dampness

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:40 AM

We purchase our GE dryer in January, now when we open the door, there is water on the drum and door. We even found a small amount water on the floor. We unhooked the vent and it doesn't seem to be clogged. I thought it was drying okay, it gets hot and cuts off fine, no funny noises. What could make the water inside the dryer? Thanks.

The moderl # is DBXR463ED1WW

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

Recheck your vent. How long is your vent line, is it smooth wall pipe or flex hose.  How many bends, and do you have a screen on the discharge flapper.

Try this. Take your vent off, turn on the dryer, and see how strong the airflow is comming out. Then put the vent back on, turn it on, and go outside and check the exhaust air rate. If it is much less outside, you have some restriction in the ventline.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:17 AM

I live in a mobile home, the vent goes through the floor. It is a silver flexible vent.

The weird thing is, we dried clothes Monday and it dried them. No water showed up until last night.

It is still under warrenty, although if it is the venting I know that won't be covered.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:57 AM

Something is either not letting the hot wet air vent to the outside or something in the vent system is letting water seep into the dryer when it is off.  Check the vent system.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Fermented Grand Master
  • 28,795 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:08 AM

Water vapor from the clothes is condensing either in the dryer's internal vent or very close to it in the external vent.  This is caused by excessive backpressure, a kink or restriction in the vent hose will do it.  Are you using a 90 degree aluminum to attach the vent hose to the back of the dryer or is the hose just stuck on there?  That's a common choke point in dryer vents.

#6 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:46 AM

Also make sure that the flapper on the outside of the vent is closing properly.  If ya let hot air back into the dryer when the dryer is colder it will form condensation just like when ya put a glass of ice water outside in the summer heat ...

#7 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:11 PM

Thanks everyone for your help. I pulled off the vent and turned on the dryer and I don't think it seems as hot as it should. It is still under warranty, so I have a repair man coming Tuesday.

I really appreciate everyone's help.

#8 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:54 AM

One question. Since the repair guy isn't coming until Tues and we removed the vent and ran a brush inside the dryer and as far as we cold go in the tube that leads outside and got no lint, do you think it would be safe to use the dryer this weekend?

Would the condensation inside burn out anything if used?

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:12 AM

Do not see why not, you have been using it this way since January. Cannot see what a day or 3 would matter.  Might want to leave the door open when not in use  and unplug it.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#10 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

We bought it in January, but the problem just showed up this week. I just wanted to make sure nothing would burn out from the water or dampness. Thanks

#11 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:19 AM

Well, yes, water and electricity do not mix well, and I did not know it just started last week.   Unplug the dryer and wait for the tech.  Sure think he will find the problem is in the vent somehow. 

#12 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thankyou Pegi.  Sorry if I sound stupid with my questions. I am a totally not knowledgeable about anything to do with this. Thanks again.

#13 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:57 PM

How about this...

The dryer is vented to the underside of the moble home. The home may have skirting. The vent does not have a flapper. The dryer , when in use, pushes moisture under the home, and it stays there. The home has AC, fans, exhaust vents, ect... that cause a negative pressure in the home. Now the moist air under the home gets pulled up the dryer vent where it condensates in the dryer.

Me been thinking again

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#14 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:59 PM

nick, you may be totally right. We have air, we have skirting around the mobile home and we do have a flapper leading to the outside on the side of the home and when we first got this new dryer, the old vent had disconnected from the flapper. Now maybe the guy that installed this vent either didn't hook it or it came off. Thanks. Hopefully the guy coming will be able to hook it up if it is off.

Also I was reading, that when this happens that there could be alot of lint inside the dryer around the motor or something. My sister find wet lint under the lint basket too.

Thanks.

#15 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:21 PM

Remember, if the dryer is ok, and the venting in the home is the problem this will not be covered under warranty and you will be responsable for the charges.

#16 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 05:39 PM

I am anticipating after all that was suggested here that it is the venting and am prepared to pay if I can get it resolved. I am not able to crawl under the mobile home myself, so I will have to absorb the cost. Thanks again for everyone's help.

#17 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:21 AM

Maybe you can get someone local to crawl under and check it out. $20 might get a neighbor or teenager under there. Some factory ccompanys will not do venting work, or go under the home.

A local handy man might be a good choice.

Nick

#18 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:54 AM

The problem must be the venting.

I wouldn't have a factory service tech come out at this point, unless they are willing to do vent work. Expect to pay top dollar. Having a service tech out for a vent problem will not be any cheaper than having him out for a repair.

It might be best to hire someone to build you a new venting system. Specify smooth walled 4 inch diameter aluminum pipe, Seams taped with aluminum tape, A proper discharge chute, and NO SCREEN at the end of the pipe. Make sure the the area between where the dryer exhaust is connected, and where it goes through the floor, is built  without  any kinks or pinched off duct.

This should solve your problem. Plus, this is the way all vents should be constructed. It is safe for the homeowner, and most efficient for dryer operation.

#19 bug2

bug2

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:12 AM

We pulled off some of the skirting and the vent tube is only 5 feet from the outside flapper, laying on the ground. I can pull it to the flapper. How do you hook the tube onto the flapper. Do you just duct tape it securely on. Thanks.

#20 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

Duct tape, a clamp, or aluminum foil tape.

If that hose was on the ground under the home, you found your problem, and saved yourself some real money.

Good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics