Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
AttilaHooper

Thermador CT130 convection oven E2 and E8 codes

5 posts in this topic

Thermador CT130W, build date 1994.

Oven went haywire and burnt my frozen pizza. Coughed up E2 and E8. (runaway overtemp, controller failure)

Sent the controller to CG industries for an R&R. Very quick turnaround, $130. Looks like an IC, a diode and some traces were repaired.

Installed board, everything appears to work. My wife baked some potatoes last night at 350 Fahr and they got burnt.

So today I pulled temp sensor from inside the oven and set it up just above a candle flame. Measured resistance to high 1600's ohms. This equates to about 350+ deg Fahr.

A candle burns roughly at 200deg Celsius (392 Fahr).  Double checked with my Fluke IR temp probe. Got about 292 deg Fahr, which is within reason because reflective surfaces dont read well with IR.

Is there anything else that can cause the oven to overheat ? I am thinking that temp sensor is OK. I there a calibration that can be done ?

Arigato in advance.

Edit: did some more testing with the fluke IR. Looks like oven is hitting temp and cycling properly. After some intense questioning I found that wife did not put foil on potatoes. These Thermadors are pretty powerful. Now for the self clean test, wish me luck. or not.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

[user=40366]AttilaHooper[/user] wrote:

These Thermadors are pretty powerful. Now for the self clean test, wish me luck. or not.

If you're planning on doing a self-clean, you'll need lots of luck.  And then probably a new control board.

[user=40366]AttilaHooper[/user] wrote:

... Now for the self clean test, wish me luck. or not...

Rule #1: Don't ever use Self-Clean on any oven.

Rule #2: If you're thinking about using Self-Clean, see Rule #1

Self-Clean uses nearly 1000F for 3 hours or more. :burning:

That can wreak havoc on Electronic Controllers and Connectors.

Master Reg speaketh much wisdom. Ignore his advice at your eternal perrrrril.

Even though most ranges come equipped with the self clean feature, ranges today are not constructed to withstand the extreme conditions during self clean. You may get a few cycles out of it, but you're inflicting damage each time you use it.

The corollary to Master Reg's Rule is that if something is close to breaking on your range, it'll most likely do it during the self clean cycle.

Thanks for the quick slap upside the head, I was kinda suspect of self clean given the ridiculously high temps. No wonder my controller kicked the can, the wife loves the self clean feature.

She has been notified.