Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
NEXT LEVEL

ice maker overflow

9 posts in this topic

I am new to the forum and I have a question about my new IM6 GE icemaker.  Everything is installed correctly but when I turn on the ice maker the water comes in and does not turn off.  It seems as if the thermistor is not sensing the water level.  Any advice?

NEXT LEVEL

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Try this again, when the water does not shut off unplug the refrigerator, if the water stops then you have to suspect the ice maker, if the water keeps entering the ice maker then you know the fill valve on the back of the box is hung open and has to be replaced.

I did what you suggested and the water did stop when I unplugged the fridge.  This is a brand new ice maker so I suppose I should take it back.  The valve on the back of the fridge is new also.

NEXT LEVEL

Good, at least you know for sure what the problem is.....;)

On the new electronic ice makers in that kit, as soon as you flip the on switch the valve will energize for 2 seconds and then harvest into a cycle. Is it actually over flowing?

When you turn on the ice maker, the valve opens and water comes into the ice maker and never stops.  It overflows into a bowl that I put under the ice maker and continues to overflow until I turn off the ice maker.  The water dispenser  on the door works great.

When I first put the new ice maker in the valve would not open at all.  No water would come into the ice maker.  I bought a new valve today and now the valve opens but will not turn off.

If you take the front cover off the ice maker you should see a water level adjustment a + and a -.Adjust the water level to the - and test.

Took the cover off and there was no adjustment mechanism.  I think this one is all electric with a circuit board.  I think the thermistor does all the sensing and if it works, it works.

I took the maker out last night and let it come to room temperature so I could start over.  It did the same thing this morning.  The valve opens in the back and will not close and the maker overflows and I suppose would continue to overflow until I turn it off.

I am going to take it out and take it back.

Sounds like a good idea.  Those electronic units don't have an adjustment.  Time to exchange it