Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

ice maker overflow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:21 PM

I am new to the forum and I have a question about my new IM6 GE icemaker.  Everything is installed correctly but when I turn on the ice maker the water comes in and does not turn off.  It seems as if the thermistor is not sensing the water level.  Any advice?

NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:46 PM

Try this again, when the water does not shut off unplug the refrigerator, if the water stops then you have to suspect the ice maker, if the water keeps entering the ice maker then you know the fill valve on the back of the box is hung open and has to be replaced.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

I did what you suggested and the water did stop when I unplugged the fridge.  This is a brand new ice maker so I suppose I should take it back.  The valve on the back of the fridge is new also.

NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:59 PM

Good, at least you know for sure what the problem is.....;)
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:27 PM

On the new electronic ice makers in that kit, as soon as you flip the on switch the valve will energize for 2 seconds and then harvest into a cycle. Is it actually over flowing?

#6 NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

When you turn on the ice maker, the valve opens and water comes into the ice maker and never stops.  It overflows into a bowl that I put under the ice maker and continues to overflow until I turn off the ice maker.  The water dispenser  on the door works great.

When I first put the new ice maker in the valve would not open at all.  No water would come into the ice maker.  I bought a new valve today and now the valve opens but will not turn off.

NEXT LEVEL

#7 yambag

yambag

IkkĊ-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 05:19 PM

If you take the front cover off the ice maker you should see a water level adjustment a + and a -.Adjust the water level to the - and test.

#8 NEXT LEVEL

NEXT LEVEL

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:45 AM

Took the cover off and there was no adjustment mechanism.  I think this one is all electric with a circuit board.  I think the thermistor does all the sensing and if it works, it works.

I took the maker out last night and let it come to room temperature so I could start over.  It did the same thing this morning.  The valve opens in the back and will not close and the maker overflows and I suppose would continue to overflow until I turn it off.

I am going to take it out and take it back.

NEXT LEVEL

#9 APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:37 PM

Sounds like a good idea.  Those electronic units don't have an adjustment.  Time to exchange it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics