Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Gas Dryer not heating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El Cid

El Cid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

Masters,

I need your help. My usually honorable Whirlpool Gas Dryer (Model LGC7646DQ0) has quit working. When set in Energy preferred automatic setting (all I ever use) the dryer will not start.

However, if I turn the timer knob to cool down or finish portion of drying cycle, I can hear the timer ticking. Also, the drum will turn for about ten seconds and stop, as it should.

I removed the vent and tried to run the dryer with no change in results. I removed the front kick plate and the back cover. I tested 1)thermal fuse for continuity(good), 2) thermal cutout for continuity (good), 3)coils for continuity (both good but with different readings, and 4) removed, toyed with and promptly broke the end off of the igniter.

The timer knob clicks when I turn it to any off cycle. The timer ticks whenever I set it in cool down or timer area.

I know I need to replace the igniter I broke, :? but what else could be wrong? Since the dryer won't work whenever heat is needed, the wise cousel seen in other threads does not seem to help me.

Could a master please enlighten with their wisdom?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 SuperTec

SuperTec

Ikkō-ikki

• Master Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

1.) replace ignitor... 2.) check wiring schamatic and check outputs from timer.. Sort of sounds like a timer problem... Also check, if it has it (Yes, I did not look up your model number), the heat selector switch....
Prices subject to change upon customers annoyance....

#3 El Cid

El Cid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

Thank you Honorable SuperTec,

Will try timer outputs and heat selector as suggested and report results.

#4 El Cid

El Cid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:06 PM

Most Honorable SuperTec,

Set timer to auto-regular, removed switch and tested. Only T-W showed continuity (closed). TM-WB, BK-BU, and BK-R remained open where label says they should be closed.

Also, when I removed removed the mounting screws to loosen the switch, I could hear something rattling inside the timer housing.

Does this sound correct?

#5 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:16 PM

If you can shake the timer and hear crap rattling around   ..... guess what    change that timer  .... one of the contacts let loose  .... I wish it were always that simple in the field  ....3976574  <--- part #    I did alot of these under Kenmore    ( whirlpool )   good catch... and  Good Luck   I think that timer is about 70  maybe cheaper if ya get lucky    .... they sell the parts on this site take a look

#6 El Cid

El Cid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 04:31 PM

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice.

The most painful part of this process was finding out I broke the igniter for nothing.:D

I don't think any of you will need to spill your entrails on my account, I think you nailed it. Will reply to verify and give praise.

#7 El Cid

El Cid

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:39 PM

Honorable SuperTec and Honorable Appliance Terminator,

Just as you foresaw, the problem was with the timer. It took longer to find a timer in stock than it did to install the new timer and igniter. I also took the opportunity to replace the plastic vent hose with metal.

Repaired dryer is now obediant in all cycles (and heat settings), order is restored, and I am once again master of my dojo. With order restored, I disassembled the broken timer; the contact connected to the tan wire had broken off.

Thanks to both of you and the Most Honorable Samurai (our gracious, if besotted :guzzle:, host) for your help. Not only did you save me money, but you allowed me the satisfaction of fixing the dryer myself.

A contribution to your favorite charity, USBF :gulp:, is forthcomig via snail mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics