Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Upright freezer not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mamagecko

mamagecko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

I have a large upright frost-free freezer (Sears model #253.9280412, serial #WB91022264), about 5 years old or so. This morning there was a good size puddle of water in front of it, and the temp inside was *way* up (although still cool) with the food noticably defrosting. I figured that one of the kids opened it and maybe the door was slightly open overnight (it has an alarm, though, and the alarm did NOT go off). I made sure the door was shut tight and left it all morning, but this afternoon it still doesn't seem to
be cooling off. I stuck a thermometer in, and the temp appears to be holding steady at about 35 degrees. I checked the thermostat dial to be sure I didn't accidently bump it putting things in, and that's not the problem. The compressor is running every time I check it. Oh, there's also some frost build up inside. :-( 

So what do you think? Is it dead? Worth repairing? Should I just kick it in the side a few times?

Thanks for any advice,

ann in mi, who's going to be having a BIG cookout this weekend!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

APPLIANCE-ASSASSIN

Samanera

• Appliantologist
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:21 PM

If there is frost built up on the whole back panel you have a defrost issue. The first thing I do is find the defrost timer and manually advance it into defrost. Let it go for a minute to see if your heater comes on. If heater does not come on, check continuity through the heater and bimetal t-stat.

#3 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

check the condensor fan motor and clean the condensor (on the bottom)
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#4 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:20 PM

Mamagecko,   there is no condensor fan motor on this model,  so don't worry about that.  Check the defrost like the assasin mentioned.  If that checks out o.k.,  here are some other things for your information. This model has known  issues of restrictions in the sealed system.  System runs hot and the oil breaks down and forms salts which causes restrictions in the heat exchanger.  They have a fix where they added a oil cooler to the unit.   This has to be done by a cfc cert. tech.   If the unit is in a hot area,  they have recommended a fan kit to cool the compressor down and keep the overload from tripping.   You might want to call the store where you bought it and see if this is not a sealed system problem that is covered....Ron

#5 mamagecko

mamagecko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:40 AM

Thanks everyone... I operate on the machine later today... after I finish getting all the food out so I can take the inside panels off and figure out where all these parts are. ;-)   The back panel is indeed covered with frost, so hopefully if will be one of the simple defrost system parts that I can fix myself.

So I turn the defrost timer to force it into a defrost cycle.  If the heater comes on, then I need a new defrost timer (because the auto-on mechanism isn't working) and I'm done, right?  If it doesn't, then I check the heater and bi-metal t-stat (or rather, I think I will defer to my husband on checking those).   LOL, if I can't figure it out, I might just get all three parts and replace all three... still a whole lot cheaper than a service call.

Ron, would there be frost build-up if it is a sealed-system problem?  I'm pretty sure it's out of warranty (5 year warranty, and I'm pretty darn sure we bought it in '99), so I'm trying to avoid calling a service guy out.

Thanks so much for your help!

ann

#6 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:07 AM

No there wouldn't be a frost up...The Assassin pointed you in the right direction.  The defrost timer is located in the back corner.  There is also a board back there you will want to check.   Let's hope it's as simple as the heater harness becomming disconnected.  I just wanted you to be aware of the other problems this model has had in the past...Ron

#7 mamagecko

mamagecko

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:57 PM

Just wanted to say *THANKS* again... I'm going to be ordering a new bi-metal thermostat.  :-)

ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics