Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool ED27RQXXW00 Side/Side Fridge

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sbosecker

sbosecker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:42 AM

I have a Whirlpool Side by Side Refrigerator/Freezer (Model ED27RQXXW00) purchased in 1991.  The machine runs almost constantly (except every 10 hours or so it shuts down for a while to go through the defrost cycle) yet the temperature in the Freezer is lucky to get to 8 degrees and the temperature in the Fridge side is around 46.  (Ambient air temperature in the house is around 79 degrees.)

The controls for the unit are set at max cold for the freezer ("C" on the control) and medium for the fridge ("3" out of 5 on the control).  The ice maker works normally.

I removed the cover on the Evaporator and found it to have a bit of frost on it but not the block of ice that I expected.  The Evaporator Fan was running.  I located the Defrost Timer and turned the timer clockwise until the machine stopped running.  The Defrost heater got hot and melted the small amount of frost.  Moved the Defrost Timer forward and the machine began running again.  Set a timer for 8 hours later and the machine was still running - at about 10 hours the machine shut down for a while - defrosted the evaporator coils again - and then started up again.

Peering at the Condenser Coils under the machine, I could see some dust on the coils.  It didn't look bad but it doesn't cost anything to clean the machine so I removed a significant amount of dust (much more than I expected).  After the cleaning I hoped there might be an improvement to temperature of the compartments but that hasn't happened.  While I was cleaning the coils I could see that the Condenser Fan was spinning nicely and air was moving under the machine.

It is difficult to say how long this situation has existed.  We only noticed the problem and started checking things when we noticed that our ice cream was soft.  When we first got the machine 14 years ago we ate more ice cream than we do now and didn't notice this problem.  The machine is fairly quiet so, until we started paying attention, we didn't really notice that the machine was running all the time.

This unworthy one awaits wisdom.

Scott

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 23 July 2005 - 04:21 AM

I would start by setting the freezer control to the center, normal, position. The freezer control opens and closes the air diffuser that allows cold air from the freezer to cool the frig section. If you turn the freezer control to colder, you will starve the frig section of cold air, and the unit will run long compressor times to try to satisfy the thermostat that is inside the frig section.

After it's been on normal settings for 24 hours, check the temps in both cavities and get back with us.

Nick

Do you have the rear panel installed? It may look like a piece of worthless cardboard, but it needs to be there for proper operation.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#3 sbosecker

sbosecker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:29 AM

Before I did any "internal investigating", I purchased a thermometer to see if the melting ice cream was just "weird".  (This was a couple of months ago.) When the thermometer revealed that the temperatures were indeed high, I referred to the owner's manual and set the fridge to the default settings  (Freezer "B"; Fridge "3") and checked the temperatures later.  This did not produce a satisfactory result and I went through each of the settings for the various permutations listed in the owner's manual (Fridge - Warm; Freezer - Warm; Fridge/Freezer both warm).  The set-up that gave the coolest temps in both compartments was the "Freezer - Warm" settings.

I have to say that, at the time I did the above tests, I was unaware of when the defrost timer would activate the defrost cycle.  (Could that skew the temperatures if my timing was bad?) Since I'm not sure when the Defrost Cycle was running, I suppose Murphy's Law might in come into play and might change the results of the above test.  I think that would be a remote possibility but it has to be considered.

When you refer to the "rear panel" are you asking about the cover over the Evaporator Coil?  Yes, I have re-installed panel over the Evaporator Coil.  I seemed to me that the Evaporator Coil Fan needs this cover to get the air to flow over the coils properly.

The reason I waited until now to start "operating" on the machine was to allow us to eat our way to a lower level of food in the machine.  This week we got to a point where the food could be moved to the beat-up 25-year old "Beer Fridge" out in the garage.  (It's freezer temp is a bit below zero by the way.)

I'll try your suggestion but, unless Muphy is a factor, I don't think the results will be favorable.

Best regards,

Scott

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:38 AM

He was referring to the cardboard panel across the compressor compartment, it has to be in place also for the box to work correctly.  Anytime the controls are adjusted in a ref. you have to wait 24 hours for the box to stabilize to check if it is doing better, the defrost system timer does not care if the box is hot or cold, it is just a timer so the frig will warm up in each defrost cycle.  Get that freezer control turned down so you can get cold air into the food compartment and turn the thermostat in the food compartment up on notch then let it run for 1-2 days to see how it does.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:52 AM

I was referring to the cardboard cover on the lower backside of the machine. Back where you would access the compressor and condenser fan.

If things are not right after 24 hours, I think you may be done investigating. From all the tests and work you have done, I believe you have a sealed system problem. Either you have lost some refrigerant, or the compressor it worn out and not pumping to normal pressures. Either way, looks like a trip to an appliance retailer is in your future. I wouldn't recommend sealed system repairs on a machine this old, because of the high cost involved.

But you did a nice job hunting for the problem.

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#6 sbosecker

sbosecker

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the kind words.  I tried to do some "due diligence" on the web and with a DIY fridge repair manual but I also realized that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". 

When I wrote my original post I suspected that this was a "sealed system" problem but thought it was worth running the situation up a flagpole to see if there was something else possible.

I'll pull the fridge out and have a look for the cardboard cover.

Thanks to all for taking the time to discuss this with me.

Regards,

Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics