Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Whirlpool Washer Spins & Knocks

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kimmer

Kimmer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:31 AM

Have a 2004 Whirlpool washer that fills, drains and spins OK except at the end of the spin then it makes a loud knocking sound like an unbalanced load but it still makes the sound even when empty (testing).

My brother is here looking at it but doesn't really know what he's doing ... a great car mechanic, but so-so on appliances.

He says the agitator isn't spinning during the spin cycle if that makes a difference.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Yep its a drive block that went bad  part # 389140    You have to remove the shell of the washer the agitator and then get the drive block nut off  .... then pull the tub cover ( clothes guard) o ff and pull the tub..... ..... now the ears from the basketdrive may also been worn too   if they are worn to much ya alos may need a basket drive   .... many times you can slightly bent them outwards(the ears on the basket drive just slightly..... and then ya have to smack the new drive block on .......also  ..... to help eliminate the problem in the future you can also slightly grease the brake so that it does not slam hard when it stops and takes off alot off stress on this part....

#3 Kimmer

Kimmer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:48 AM

Appliance Terminator, thanks so much for being here!  My brother was just walking out the door when you posted!

How difficult is that repair for a non-appliance person?  As a car mechanic, my brother's probably an 8 on a scale of 1-10.  He took my old washer apart (I've got the transmission oil on my carpet to prove it!) and he took the agitator and stuff off this morning.  The "ears" looked fine.

I just called a repair place and they want $40 for a service call and $20 every 15 minutes.  I'm a single mom and $$ is hard right now.  My brother could help out, but he bought me this washer a year ago for $400 and I've never repaid him.

In your opinion, is it something he can do?  I've seen the exploded diagrams on other repair sites for top loading Whirlpools.  Can he work from that?

#4 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

I'll tell ya what I just started posting on this site and I dont know the guy who runs it ....But he has his S**t   together in here  ......    the repair isnt that bad and its cheap .... Im not to familiar with his links but  Im sure he has it on here how to exactly do it with pictures... ... Hey appliance guru   ya have links and pics for her  ????   .... or anyone else before I write a a book on this....

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Here is the procedure to take the case off....Hint, click on the blue link to the left...Then remove the agitator, splashguard, then remove the lock nut by tapping it to the left with a chisel and hammer then pull the spin backet up off of the drive block to see if it is worn out and has slid down the spin tube.  If the drive block is ok there are several other reasons for your problem that can be addressed.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 01:57 AM

[user=2264]ApplianceTerminator[/user] wrote:

Yep its a drive block that went bad part # 389140 .... many times you can slightly bent them outwards(the ears on the basket drive just slightly..... and then ya have to smack the new drive block on .......also

..... to help eliminate the problem in the future you can also slightly grease the brake so that it does not slam hard when it stops and takes off alot off stress on this part....

Thanks very much for that last bet of advice ApplianceTerminator, (GREASING THE BRAKE), very helpful and good thing to remember. I've never had to replace a basket drive/brake tube on these, always worked by taking a small tappered chisel and bending all 4 corners of tabs back into place by matching to drive block turned upside down so as not to bend them to far and not have to take the block back off again if you bend them to far.

The first one I ever did when I started seeing this problem on the newer direct drives that seem to be doing this I didn't bend the tabs back and had to go back after about 6 or 7 months and redo the job. Never have a had problem after I started bending the tabs back out and into correct position and haven't had to grease a brake but I think I will start doing that also which will prevent thoose brutual hard stops that the Whirlpools some times get.

WARNING FOR "Apprentice Appliantologist" & "Grasshoppers", YOU WHOULD ONLY NEED A SMALL LITTLE FINGERTIP OF GREASE. DON'T OVER DO IT, You still want it to stop.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:11 AM

The best grease that I use is the grease for the Amana Brake pads ...Just a little on the finger tip and I feel where the spring is in the basket drive and a try to push it up into there....less than a pea sized amount ... Then I let it spin for a few seconds at a time to try to spread it around. You dont want to use alot because then the brake would slip in the agitate.Im not sure if FSP changed the drive block or the basket drive thats causing this problem in the last few years but like I said I like to take the stress off the part and let the unit take about 3 - 5 seconds to come to a stop.  I have also used this grease on newer style Maytags and admirals after doing a brake cover to stop that afwul squeak when they stop....  but with the maytag use very ...very.... little of the grease and coat the brake cover and the wipe off with a paper towel.

#8 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:49 AM

A better way to stop the hard breaking on a DD washer is to hold the spin basket and then put the washer into spin.  Hold this basket for 1-2 minutes then release the basket and let it get up to full spin.  Do this 1-10 times till you have a nice smooth stop.  This burnishes the break pads that have a coating of rust which is what causes the hard breaking, causing drive couplers to break and drive blocks to wear out faster.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#9 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

When ya hold the spin basket in spin the only thing your doing is burning the clutch  the second spin  engages the clutch pad pushes in the spring for the basket drive releasing the pads on the basket drive.......... the clutch is what kicks the arm and releases the brake (the spring on the spin tube  aka basket drive)  ... the only way to  smooth the brake is when it stops would be (technically speaking)  to thin the pads .....  weaken the sping in the basket drive or grease the brake so it stops slower ....

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:01 AM

Hummmm, sure finding it odd this repair was posted in the tech forums for the hard breaking problem solution and was paid for under warranty to the authorized servicers in several parts of the world, and putting any sort of grease on the clutch was forbidden for solving this problem. Putting any sort of grease would void their warranty.  Of course the only correct way to solve the hard breaking problem is to replace the whole clutch./break assy..

#11 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:05 PM

Pegi   .... we dont make these things     .... we just have to deal with em...  If we made them with our own  thoughts  ........ and I mean are OWN thoughts counted on the design .....   well we wouldn't work that much  LOL   ....... we get paid to fix em  .... Im happy in a way that they break .... It makes my living  ... I can complain about alot of designs and many things that happen ..... but in the end its a reason I make a living... many designs are not that good    .... but its cheap to make .... It would be a really happy world if the the GE actually was built better   but its not     If the whirlpool had a metal coupler and a stronger drive block.... lid switches that never failed   .... relays that weren't made by the cheapest bidder...they did away with a bad rotorary compressor.... a water valve never clogged.... the dishwasher board never went bad....   . but its a pay check       AMEN to the cheap parts    Amen to my paycheck   LOL  .......  Amen for this posting board cause I love it....  I can't belive that there are actually very talented people on here, and I really mean that    ... Pegi you are above most of them ...... People that are techs   .... not part changers    ... people that correct me when I screw up... people just willing to help other people ....  what keeps people like you and me going is not always the pay check .......  but the passion to learn   ... that passion to actually know whats going on .... the great feeling to learn from ourselves and others ...... the feeling of walking in on a customer ,  in thier own home,  and hearing the crap they spew out cause they need the crap fixed ..... we could smash alot of appliances daily .... its not always  good what we can tell them.... but we dont  always do that ... we make the problem go away     ... we make them feel better  ...  we make their day brighter  ..... It feeds me and my family... It feeds me and you !!!!

I like this board and joined it because I thought that I may have something to offer   .... not because I'm always correct  .... Every day a new appliance comes out and every day I learn something new ..... Sometimes I learn something new for a certain appliance ,  sometimes a simple trick on an old appliance .... then I think how come I never did that before ... how come I never thought like that  ........  but in the end I get screwed for what I new because many problems have many different answers..... but at the end we learn ..... it's not always what ya think first   sometimes it's alot more that that   .... and I mean alot more than that ... Today I learned something  new and easier way  ....  WOW ..... That made my day easy  ....  I cant belive thats the reason that happened........   Its that thought that makes my day better....  The thought of making my life easier and better  .... I Think that is what this board is about   .... not only me but everyone that posts in here.....             

I'm very new to this board and I will make my errors  .... The problem is this .......  and its plain and simple ..... new problems happen every day ....  with a problem,  we need a solution.... we can only see what we see at the moment  and make our own decisions....  that does not always mean we are right....  They can spend  Billions of dollars on a spaceship ...... and we still learned that the can blow the hell up also .....  That leads us to the few hundred bucks they  spend on an appliance to make .... I dont want to get into a pissing match on this board .......its not the reason i joined ... Im here for one very simple reason .... It's to learn more that I already know... Thats what makes me better ... It's what makes me live  ... I have a passion for what I do   ... the passion is to be the best  ..... but plain and simple that passion comes from a need to learn...  I cant get enough  ...  My fear is what I dont know.....And its ALOT ...... but I  live by ONE rule when it comes to this .... IF ITS ALREADY BROKEN I CAN'T BREAK IT AGAIN....... so I tear in....... I rip it up  ... I get the meter out    ... what the hell do I care ... I just want to learn....... and with that  line ..... you stating I'm going to void the warranty  .... I dont think so ....Im the In Warranty person  ...... They make the designs and they dont always make them right  ...... should we wait for the recall on the items or do we make are customers happy with an item that works..... I dont know ...  maybe someone should tell me ..... when was the last time a service rep cam from whirlpool and explained why that basket drive block goes bad  ....when was the last time a washer was recalled....   The company's would rather deal with a class action law suit like like the Neptune than deal with anything else  ..... screw it.... grease the break  .... bend the tabs on the basket drive .........    Thats not my job to make this machine    .... Its my job and my cause in life to make this appliance run correctly and make sure that this problem doesn't happen again ... and to make sure that  Im not putting the customer in harms way......or make em dirty smelly people   LOL.......  Im not Jumping out thermal fuses and lid switches and leaving it that way wondering why the house burned down or why little Sally just lost her arm in a washer ..... Im just trying to make the appliance run for may years to go  .... With the DD washer they had the machine actually out in 1981.....   They never had the problem with a drive block.... Our jobs are simply this...... to adapt to what they make.... To service our customer ... to make sure that they call back ... to feed my family and make sure that my customers have cold food , clean clothes, clean dishes , heat in the winter   .... AC in the summer .... Thats all we sign up for   .... Thats it .... Im sorry if for some reason I pissed you off  ..... You are great at what you do  .... You probably know alot more that what I do.... But dont fire down on me  ... I seen alot of responses on this board and they dont have a clue of what the are talkin about.....  Maybe its just the east coast in me but I do feel offended ...........  Im not going to kill the persons warranty by what I do .... I think that comment is uncalled for and I deserve an apology......

I apologize if I offend you thats not my point.... My point is to learn and alearn again .... We can only get better by each other  ... Id rather trust 5 techs than 1 engineer ....  Ohh and PS    FSP actually has a part # for grease.... in case ya wanted someday to actually grease the brake and not void a warranty........    Like I said we arent always right   but dont tell a customer that I will void a warranty ... Im not that person.... I dont live my life that way and I would never harm a person just to collect a few bucks  or the business...............   Thanks Again

#12 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:42 PM

As an A&E tech, I do know Whirlpool does not approve or recommend greasing the break pads.  Also, you may get complaints from the customer about the new noise, the greased pads make a funny sound just as the basket stops. I have sanded the pads and the inside of the break drum with good results.

I think that spring in the basket drive is way too strong, maybe the government made them do it.

It's possible you could get into legal trouble if someone got hurt reaching into the basket and it was still spinning. It's not very likely, but possible.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

#13 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:44 PM

I was not pissed nor offended, just stating my view like anyone else in any forum has a right to do, we all have our own opinions about the way to address any repair. Nor do I owe anyone any apology for stating my ideas as each of us differ in our approach. I offer views others make available as we all do. This does not mean I know them to be right or wrong, each in these forums can take and use what they see is right and pass on what they see as wrong

#14 Moostafa

Moostafa

Imam

• The Ayatollah of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Poppy Salmagundi

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:27 AM

Hello, Appliance Terminator, my too-easily-offended friend.  As I read through the postings here, I was reminded of the many times our illustrious and vain-glorious leader, Samurai Appliance Repair Man, is corrected by the other Master Appliantologists here in this pillar of appliance wisdom.  I have read on numerous occasions where Pegi, Willie, and others have, with barely-suppressed glee, pointed out an error in the Samurai's advice.  Instead of taking offense, the Samurai seems appreciative of their contributions to the tapestry of wisdom woven here in the forum each day. 

After reading your long and winding complaint, which culminated in the demand for an apology, I re-read Pegi's post, thinking I had missed the juicy part where she accused you of milking male yaks.  I read it, and re-read it but found no such statements nor did I find anything else in her reply to you that seemed, even to my perverse brand of Afghani tribal honor, to be even remotely disrespectful of you in any manner; she simply stated her truth quietly, clearly, and succinctly-- it touched me in a way that would be most inappropriate to discuss in a public forum.  Ah, but I digress.

Allahu Akbar!

#15 Kimmer

Kimmer

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:27 AM

OMG, I can't believe how generous you all are with your time! 

My brother had to leave before these posts came in to help someone else (he's also an angel in disguise) so I'm printing this thread for him when he returns next Saturday.  I'll be doing our wash in the laundry room in our apt complex so I don't make anything "worse" until he gets here. 

BTW, my brother bought this washing machine for me when the last one broke and I just couldn't ask him to pay for the repair.  He's not a rich guy, he's a janitor at an elementary school.   He also "pays it forward" by working on cars for free for the single moms at his school ... he even buys parts for those moms that are poor.  No, he doesn't hit on them (his heart is saved for Eva Longoria of Desperate Housewives, LOL!) 

After the first appliance repair place I thought I'd get a better price by calling Best Buy which is where he bought it 14 months ago (out of warranty by 2 months).  They wanted $70 for the service call, $20 every 15 minutes for the repair plus parts (and it would have been more than one I'll bet).  It would have been $150 easy.  That's not a lot to some people, but it's a week's worth of groceries for my foster kids.   Kicking myself that I didn't get the extended warranty, but as my brother says, "Don't look a gift washing machine in the mouth." 

Thank you all again.  You're all very special, God bless!   :dude:

#16 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

;)  Thanks, all we can do is try.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics