Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Dryer motor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ragsplace

ragsplace

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 10:58 AM

Hi Everyone,

A friend from work gave me a dryer motor to try to get running. It is an emerson split phase motor. It has a yellow, blue and black wire. I'm assuming the yellow wire is through the start winding and the blue wire through the thermal overload and the run winding. Black wire to neutral. Yellow is to 5 on the switch, blue to 4 and black to 6. He wants to use this motor in his shop for a dust collection system. Can anyone help me with getting this to work without the rest of the dryer circuit. Thank you!

Steve

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:12 PM

Assuming this came out of a Whirlpool made dryer and that yellow could be an off white, 4 and 5 are common and start and 6 is run.  Make you a cord and plug it onto 4 and 5, plug this cord into your 115 volt outlet,  holding the motor so it will not roll out of the room and the motor switch will switch it to run.  If this is a regular domestic motor it is 115 volts.  If this is not a Whrilpool dryer motor, sure would help us if you tell it what it came out of. 
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 ragsplace

ragsplace

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

Thank you for your reply. He has the motor and vent pipe mounted to a base so the motor is not going anywhere. I took your advice and have nothing going on except a huming sound. Again, thanks for your help!

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 07:57 PM

Do you know what this came out of???  The information may be incorrect that I gave you if it is not out of a Whirlool made dryer...Is it 115 volts???
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 02:17 AM

And if you don't know what it came out of and you say it is still mounted in its motor cradle, send a picture and someone here will probably be able to recognize what brand it came out of and be able to help you.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#6 ragsplace

ragsplace

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 04:18 AM

Wow,

Thank you all for the responses. I won't be able to talk to my friend at work until monday, so I don't have an answer as to what manufacturer made the dryer. I have enclosed a picture and hope that helps. Thanks again!

Steve

Attached Files

#7 ragsplace

ragsplace

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:14 AM

Success,

I took the switch off and found the correct placement for the wires by color on the back of the switch. It works like a charm. Thank you again to everyone!

Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics