Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Fridge Ice-up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tilehead

tilehead

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

HI! I have a Kenmore (GE) model 363.9534783. 10 or 11 yrs old. I have ice-up on the lower evaporation coils. I've replaced defrost timer, defrost thermostat (in freezer) and the temp control unit. Also ,the condenser coils are clean and all fans work. I've been dealig with this for about 6 weeks. Is the compresser dying?? If it is, I won't repair it and go fridge shopping!!! Thank you in advance!!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:39 PM

Did you check to see if your heaters are comming on when you put it in defrost?   Maybe they are bad.  Heater harness part #wr51x0372....Ron

#3 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 02:49 PM

If its solid ice or frost there is a difference   that slight buildup of ice sounds like low freon or weak compressor..... Shopping is in order

#4 tilehead

tilehead

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2005 - 05:10 PM

Thanks for the replies!! Yes, both heaters are comming on. The build up is not frost or snow but thick clear ice on the lowest 4 tubes. (takes about 4 to 5 days after heat gunning them clean.)

#5 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 23 July 2005 - 08:03 PM

Sounds like the sealed system is going down......:?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#6 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 03:02 AM

[user=2347]tilehead[/user] wrote:

Thanks for the replies!! Yes, both heaters are comming on. The build up is not frost or snow but thick clear ice on the lowest 4 tubes. (takes about 4 to 5 days after heat gunning them clean.)

Did you miss something Pegi?????

"This build up is NOT frost or snow but THICK CLEAR ICE on the lowest 4 tubes."

You have a defrost drain hole plugged up and as the unit defrost the water can't run down the drain and then refreezes into a solid block of ice. On each deforst cycle this ice block gets taller until it blocks off air flow -- "Which happens in 4 or 5 days after heat gunning them clean"

You need to melt that ice block again then clean out the drain hole and make sure water flows out of drain and into pan under the frig.
William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#7 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:12 AM

Did you first notice this problem because there was a problem in the fridge with the tempature.....  If you are having a cooling issue after you clean those in a day or two I would lean to a sealed system issue...   with that side X side model is the ice also building up on the freezer floor?.. If the ice builds up on the floor then I would go more towards a drain problem if no cooling issues are present.. However if after 2 days you are having problems keeping ice cream hard  and items cold in the fridge lean toward a weak compressor / sealed system issue ..... and look at the flyers and see who is having a sale ....

#8 tilehead

tilehead

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Well, thanks again for the replies!! No, the drain is clear, the ice build up starts after 2-3 days, and the temp. does get warmer in the fridge side. I believe we are going to go shopping!! If I may, Can you fine folks give a recommendation on a new side X side?? I know it won't be a Kenmore or a GE!! Thanks again!!!

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 24 July 2005 - 10:21 AM

"""Did you miss something Pegi?????""""    No, I did not, perhaps you did????
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics