Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Need tech sheet for GE tfx26kpda

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sirwired

sirwired

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:23 AM

Somehow it looks like some small rodent has chewed on the tech sheet for my fridge, and I am having beer compartment issues.  I suspect the defrost system (mostly because I had three repairs on my last GE fridge's defrost system.)

Thanks,

SirWired

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,841 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:22 PM

No gotty tech sheet for this one. But you may not need it. What's the problem you're having?

#3 sirwired

sirwired

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 10:50 PM

The beer compartment is getting too warm.  I like to keep mine at the hairy edge of freezing (helps the less important non-beer items last longer.)  After noticing that my milk isn't keeping as long as I am used to I moved the thermometer in there and discovered it was a shocking 37-38 degrees.

While the back of the freezer looks okay for now, I was planning on pulling the rear panels today anyway to see if I have a bad defroster.  (My last GE fridge needed three defroster repairs inside of two years and that was the only thing that ever went wrong with it.)

I figured a tech sheet might help with the electrical bits of the defroster if it does turn out I have frost buildup.

I hate the durn thing: the defroster has always melted the ice just enough that it fuses together in the rear of the dispenser every couple of weeks, the dispenser flap doesn't seal great, the produce drawers suck, etc... but I hate spending $900+ for a new one even more.

SirWired

#4 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:03 PM

You say the dispenser flap isn't sealing "great".  Is there frost buildup on the chute?  I've seen this many times and it could be bad enough to clog the supply to the FF side. 

#5 sirwired

sirwired

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

[user=34365]ROBBYRIG[/user] wrote:

You say the dispenser flap isn't sealing "great".  Is there frost buildup on the chute?  I've seen this many times and it could be bad enough to clog the supply to the FF side. 

It has no more frost buildup than usual.  It has always had some, but never enough to cause problems (I thought.)  Also, it is pretty dry right now here in sunny North Carolina, and I would have thought such a problem would strike during the muggy summer.

However, now that I think about it, I supposed that if it had completely stuck open for a little while at one time, that maybe caused too much buildup?  I'll just have to see what I can see when I get the back panels off of the freezer compartment.

Approx. where is the duct to the beer compartment on a GE SxS? (No electronic doo-dads... this is an old-style one.) (edit: never mind... found it.)

SirWired

#6 sirwired

sirwired

Ikkō-ikki

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:02 AM

Okay, I emptied out the freezer and pulled the rear panel.

The tips of the tinsel-like coil things were covered with an even, light, sheen of frost, top to bottom.  No chill-clogging nasty frost buildup.  I pulled the panel behind the icemaker and the duct to the fridge has not a speck of frost on it, so that isn't it.

The coil underneath is fairly clean, so that isn't it either.

The evap fan works.

This is a no-muthaboard GE fridge, so no go there.

Could it be the tstat?  If so, do I just pull the access panel, remove the connections and do a continuity check? (closed = chill, open = not-so-chill)  The parts diagram shows it connected to a male and female "capilliary locator."  I have no idea what those parts do, they are throwing doubt on my idea of just a simple continuity check to verify the tstat.

I humbly beg the masters of appliancetology for advice.

SirWired

#7 ROBBYRIG

ROBBYRIG

Senpai

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:59 AM

Hmmm, the plot thickens........

If you're having a problem with the thermostat, you will notice that as the box becomes more warm, the unit is not turning on.  If in fact you see this occurring, wap the thermostat with the rubber end of your screwdriver.  If it kicks on, you know that the thermostat is sticking in the off position. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics