Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Molding Refrig Gaskets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:15 AM

Replaced the gaskets for frig and bottom freezer diligently putting the new gaskets in the dryer and using the hair dryer to soften it up, but...I still have significant gaps.  The gasket is on straight, the door is square, but the gaps coincide with areas where the gaskets was squeezed so that it's effectively thinner and causing a gap.

Should I apply more heat via the hair dryer?  Make the gasket puff out in that spot using a little bit of cardboard behind the gasket?  Other magic?

(Also, the original gasket had a magnetic strip, but the replacement I got doesn't.  Seems that that is a significant downgrade, but it was listed as OEM.)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

Try heating these areas with your blow dryer or steamer till warm and plyable, then pull the areas out with your fingers, then close the door so the gasket is against the metal of the cabinet and let it cool in this position with the door closed for an hour or so to see if it will re-form and seal..
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 3ringcircus

3ringcircus

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

Excellent - that seemed to work - a bit more persuasion and heat did the trick.  I'll check back tonight and see that it holds.

thanks.

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:32 AM

If the original has magnets enclosed in the gasket then so will the replacements. perhaps it cannot be seen or felt, if the magnet strips were not inside the gasket it would not stay closed against the metal of the cabinet...nor reform like we are doing now......glad it seems to be working for you....:cool:
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics