Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn how to troubleshoot like a Master Samurai Tech...

Click here to check out our structured, online appliance repair training courses for rookies and experienced techs.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
mmocsny

GE Profile Wall Oven Light is Possessed!

13 posts in this topic

:shock:

The interior light in my 4 year old GE Profile wall oven (Model JTP18SOD1SS) has started to turn on (and stay on) by itself.  I also have observed it turning on for a couple of seconds then going out for a couple of seconds, back on, etc. accompanied by beeps.

Could this be related to a power outage (or surge)?

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

More likely the door switch is going bad, or the door/hinges are not fully closing the door

The door closes firmly and the switch operates normally ie. it turns the light on when when the button extends and turns the light out when the button is pushed in.

Will a bad door switch cause the light to cycle on and off by itself?

We did have to reset some of the digital clocks in our house before this problem occured (one of them being the oven clock). That is the reason I was asking if a power surge or an outage could cause this, possibly by damaging a circuit board or something.

Anyone ever heard of a light turning on and off by itself?

Here is another detail that might help in the diagnosis: When the light goes on and off, it beeps as if the normal light button is being pushed.

The door switch may be making contact internally, damaged by the power outage and then coming back on.  It also seems like I read something about possibly being caused by the oven door latch having a problem, but not sure if it was for the G.E. brand or not.

UPDATE!

I now have error code "F7".

The owner's manual says to press the "Clear/Off" button and if the code reappears then totally disconnect power for 30 minutes.

EDIT: In normal operation, when the door is opened, the light comes on with no beep. It only beeps when using the keypad to turn the light on.

Determine if problem is with the Key Panel or Control by:

1. Pushing CLEAR/OFF pad.

2. Disconnecting Ribbon Cable from control and waiting at least 32 seconds to see if Code recurs

If code recurs, problem is in the control. Replace control.

If code does not recur, problem is with the Key Panel.

Thanks  Pegi!

I'll give that a try if disconnecting the power does not reset it.

Most commonly caused by the keypanel. I stock 15 diff ones on my truck and still run into ones i dont have. Extremely easy to replace. Pretty expensive. But a whole lot cheaper than a new oven.

I disconnected power to the oven for about an hour, reconnected power and everything seems good for the last 24 hours.

Maybe it reset itself?

Maybe not. Time will tell.

Time will tell.

Ahhhhh...So true, Exalted Grand Mah-stah!