Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Amana Side BY Side - Freezer temp 17 degrees

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:31 PM

I have a 7 year old Amana SGD22TW and noticed my ice cream is almost too soft for peach cobbler.  The temp is 17 degrees so I moved the dial up a notch and 5 hours later the temp had not changed. So I pulled the back plate off the rear panel to check the coils.  I did have frost but once the unit cycled, the frost melted (like it should).  I am seeing a constant drip of water coming from the bottom of the freezer door, near what appears to be a water line that goes up towards the middle of the door and I would assume to the outside water dispenser. 

The condenser was hot when I removed the protective cover, and the unit has again cycled (or at least kicked on.  Any advice on my next step(s) would be appreciated.   Thanks

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:42 PM

Hey Punter, Sounds like maybe your trying to hard but I like your way of thinking. First put your temp. controls back to normal settings Then take off the toe plate (kick panel) you know that strip of plastic at the bottom front, well anyhoo just pull it off and clean the condensor coil and if that's not too dirty go behind the refrigerator and clean that grill. yeah go ahead at take it off and wash it and make sure that condensor fan motor is running, good luck and let us know

#3 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:53 AM

I will do that, thanks.  I am concerned about the water dripping near the water line.  It really looks like the water is coming from the corner of the freezer door, and not from the water tube itself.  I turned off the water (from the wall) earlier this morning but the dripping is still happening. In fact the water has filled up two ice cream bowls.  thanks

#4 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 04:02 AM

The water is dripp[ng out the front of the door because the drain tube is plugged up, it's that little hole beneath the evaporator. Turn off unit, remove frezer panel again, see ice in drip pan under the evaporator, remove ice and then find something flexible to run down tube( I use plastic water line to clean the drain

#5 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:05 AM

The condensor coils are clean and I made sure the drain plug was not clogged by running weed eater line through tubing (I now see where the water goes when the defrost cycle kicks on).  SO, having the freezer back panel off (bottom half) I can see that only half of the coils are getting frosty.  Could that possibly by the problem?  In which case where do we go from here. Thanks

#6 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

How long has it been running since you noticed only a partial frost pattern?

#7 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:09 AM

This morning was the first time I noticed.  I had the unit off for about an hour last night cleaning the coils, checking the drain.  So I don't know if this is normal or not. 

#8 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:18 AM

No this isn't normal, I hate to jump tp conclusions but your looking at a possible insufficient compressor. Put the back panel back on and keep watch of the temperature, Good Luck:(

#9 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 05:24 AM

Thanks for the unpleasant news.  As I prepare to open my wallet would a worst case scenario be a bad compressor?  Would a bad compressor be able to cool the refridgerator?  Besides word of mouth, how would you go about picking a repair service company.  From a service call perspective am I better off going with an Amana representative (Sealed sytem call  $190) or another outfit?  I guess I'm clueless on what a service call should run..thanks  

#10 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

I would think a 7 year old frig would be out of warranty but check this out.  Just call around and see what the different service call rates are.  If you have a sealed system problem, either a freon leak, partial restriction or a compressor going down, you will most likely want to look at replacing the frig. unless it happens to be in warranty, which I would doubt unless you bought an extended warranty protection plan.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#11 Punter

Punter

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:18 AM

Thanks Peggy, the unit is out of warranty.  Is it hard diagnose whether the compressor is going down? 

#12 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

You will have to have a certified service tech access the sealed system and get gages on it to see what is happening inside of this system.

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

#13 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:04 AM

They say I'm certified certifiable, ha ha  ho ho hee hee there coming to take me away:silly::party:

#14 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:27 AM

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics