Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

HELP!!! GE Refrigerator not getting cold enough...started fixing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jrush14

jrush14

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 05:47 PM

My GE side by side refrigerator is not getting cold enough. I found a large amount of ice in the lower section of the freezer and determined that the lower heating mantle was not working. I replaced the heating mantle and thermostat...but the refrigerator section still seems to not be getting cold enough. In the freezer, the wall in front of the lower coil seems to start acquiring a little bit of frost, but the heating coils do kick on and melt it. Is it a possibility that the timer has gone bad and not triggering often enough? The heating mantles are turning on, but it seems like the lower coils are still frosting up. If the defrost timer is bad...would it still work at all? I was thinking it could be the coolant, but it seems to be kicking out enough cold air to form ice...its just that the refrigerator isn't getting cold enough. Please help...I have a pregnant wife and the frustration from a warm refigerator has us both annoyed! Any ideas on how to fix this problem would be greatly appreciated!!!! 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:05 PM

Careful now easy does it, first lets don't panic:yikes: How fast does that ice block form and do the rest of the coils get frost on them? Do you have any idea how old the unit is or maybe I'm just saying maybe but you wouldn't happen to know the Model # would ya. Make sure the fans are running that the door gaskets are sealing all the way around , especially on the bottom. But to tell the truth, now don't get nervous and tell your wife not to have a baby yet but I think that maybe you have a insufficient compressor. Don't shoot the messenger:shock: The worst part of being an appliance technician is being the bearer of bad news. I'm Sorry 

#3 jrush14

jrush14

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:15 PM

The model number is TFX22CRXA BB. The house is about 6 years old, so I am assuming the refrigerator is about the same. The freezer seems to be getting down to the appropriate temperatures...its just that the refrigerator side is not. The freezer is empty, and I only notice a very small amount of frost (barely visible) at the lower portion. The coils towards the top have not frosted up at all. I have checked the fans and they are running. The seals around the doors seem to be working as well. If it would be a compressor problem, what would that entail as far as fixing?

#4 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 06:37 PM

Call GE and tell them the age of the unit and your situation and maybe they will be compassionate enough to see their way through to replace that compressor which otherwise would run about 500 bucks to replace. When you said that there wasn't any frost on the upper part of the coils that is usually a sign of a bad compressor:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics