Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

The days of Monkey Boy Service Calls are over...

Click here to check out our fun short course and learn how to get the most out of Appliantology.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

Stay connected with us...

Samurai on Facebook - become a fan today! Sign up for our free newsletter and keep up with all things Appliantology. Subscribe to our YouTube channel for lots of appliance repair tips and help! Follow the Samurai on Twitter and get timely morsels of Appliantological Wisdom! Subscribe to our MST Radio podcast to learn secrets of the trade.
MikeFeldman

Shorted dishwasher thermostat?

10 posts in this topic

Pulled bottom panel... unit'd been leaking.

Powering back up got a fat spark on left side of the pan and tripped the breaker again. Pulled wires from thermostat and powered up again, and was able cancel cycle and drain machine.

Before I order a new theremostat, is there anything else that could be the problem instead? How hard is it to remove without pulling the unit?

And was it the door seal leaking? Sometimes got a small puddle and sometimes didn't. Never could see where the water was coming from.

-- Mike

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Suppose I should have mentioned model -- KUDS220T3.

Google says that's also a Whirlpool dishwasher ... does one OEM the other?

Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Roper, Estate, and about half of the Kenmore appliances out there.  The Samurai Law states, "all leaks are visable"  Remove the toe panel, get you a flashlight, run the unit, and it will reveal itself.

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

... The Samurai Law states, "all leaks are visable" Remove the toe panel, get you a flashlight, run the unit, and it will reveal itself.

Even leaks in the past? Problem is that I can't run the unit with the thermostat/heater element connected because it trips the breaker, and I don't think it'll run past the heat cycle with the thermostat disconnected.

Are thermostat leaks common?

I, [user=2367]MikeFeldman[/user], wrote:

Are thermostat leaks common?

So many questions. In here, we give free appliance repair help to grasshoppers. You have received the solution to your problem. To prove you are worthy of further illumination, you must prove that you are more than a grasshopper: implement the repair that has been revealed unto you and post photographs of your handiwork. Then, will we be all to happy to talk with you ad nauseum about the nuances of failure engineering, of which you enquire.

[user=1]Samurai Appliance Repair Man[/user] wrote:

... To prove you are worthy of further illumination ... post photographs of your handiwork...

Not by way of proof, but so that others might be illuminated ... I was able to find illumination for my camera:

post-2367-129045085647_thumb.jpg

Good picture. The thermostat failed due to a loose terminal connection. Loose connections = heat and arcing. Terminals can become loose over time because they are cheap, flimsy pieced of metal and any variation in manufacturing tolerance can cause premature failure. It's a stochastic kindofa thang, dontcha know.

[user=533]Pegi[/user] wrote:

Whirlpool makes Whirlpool, KitchenAid, ...

Whirlpool bought out Hobart and the KitchenAid brand, but Whirlpool doesn't seem too interested in supporting pre-Whirlpool KitchenAid washers. All of the onlineline parts sources I've tried list the part (4163588 thermostat) as no longer available or not in stock. The one site that Google found searching on the KUDS220T3 model number actually took my order and sent email confirmation of credit card approval, but then the web order status showed as canceled with no further email notification or answer to my query. A call to the service number got me the parts warehouse that serviced that order site, and the clerk there said out-of-stock, and quoted 2-3 weeks without knowing the part number.

So unless I can adapt a more modern part, or find a warehouse that hasn't been picked clean by online buyers, it looks like I'm screwed.

If I have to replace the dishwasher, I'm inclined to get a GE because I can get an employee purchase deal from them and I had success getting a gas range by that route. Any GE models to avoid?

Any GE appliance will provide you with years of repair duty. You can work your way up to Master Appliantologist without leaving your own home.  The good thing is, you seem to have the skills to handle the journey.