Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

The real skinny on flat top stoves?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gary

gary

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:13 AM

I'm in the market for a new stove. Actually I'm hoping to find a used one off Craig's List. Anyway, I've been passing over the flat top stoves for no good reason and I'm wondering if I should consider them. Especially now that there seems to be a good deal on a new kenmore flat top stove on CL. Oh, is a stove a stove or should I look for and avoid certain brands?

Gary

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:01 PM

by all means avoid whirlpool unless you like a service truck parked in your driveway  whirlpool and it`s kenmore equal (665)  have various known problems right out the box however the rest are pretty good
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#3 gary

gary

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

I'm trying to get a model number of the Kenmore in question. You're saying that all Kenmore models other than the 665 should be OK, right? Any thoughts on flat tops in general? Will my pots/pans all need really flat bases to work well with that style stove?

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:34 PM

Completely flat and they have to match the sizes of the burners also.  Flat and not warped or pitted.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 gary

gary

Yamabushi

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

Thanks for your comments. I suspected that might be the case. One obvious feature I like about flat tops are ease of cleaning. Some quick window shopping at Sears the other day reveals that some coil stoves have ceramic drip "containers" without holes at the bottom, and thus seemed like good candidates for easy cleaning. What I'd really like to be able to do is toss the drip containers in the oven during a self cleaning cycle. Any recs on coil stoves with ease-of-cleaning features?

If it's not obvious already, we're not real big on stove cleaning at our house!

Gary

#6 nickfixit

nickfixit

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Glen Livit

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:33 PM

If your are going to get an electric stove, the ceramic top is the only way to go. Other than the cleaning, there are good reasons to go smooth top.

The stoves with the coils have constant problems with the connections between the burner and the recepticle. The burners on the ceramic tops have wire connections that hardly ever fail. The burners seem to last a very long time, we don't replace very many.

The stoves with coil burners are on the low end of the product line, lots of crappy parts .

Go get you a smooth top stove.

Nick

" Giving numerical data to Sears management is like giving a monkey a machine gun. No one knows for certain what will happen, but you can be sure of two things... It will be real messy, and only the monkey will be unharmed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics