Click here to check out this guide

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Contact

DISCLOSURE: We may earn a commission when you use one of our coupons/links to make a purchase.
  • Upcoming Events

• 27 April 2024 02:00 PM Until 03:00 PM
      All Appliantology tech members are invited to join in this workshop on all things Appliantological: bidness, customers, tools, troubleshooting, flavorite brewski, whatever. Webcams and microphones are open and live!
      This workshop is also a great time for any students at Master Samurai Tech to bring any and all questions about the coursework. We're happy to walk through any concepts you're having trouble with. Think of it like office hours with your teachers. 
      If you have a specific appliance problem you'd like us to talk about, post it here! We need a problem statement and a PDF of the tech sheet or schematic so we can all see it on screen share. If you have a PDF that isn't already in the File library here at Appliantology, send it to us by attaching it to the contact form. 
      Also, follow this Calendar Event so you'll get notified of new posts here. Look for the "Follow" button either at the top of the topic on desktop or below the topic on mobile.
      Who: This workshop is only available to tech members at Appliantology.
      When: Saturday, April 27 @10:00 AM Eastern Time.
      Where: Online via Zoom
      How:
      Click here to go to the forum topic with the registration link. If you're interested, register now. Arrive a couple minutes early to make sure your connection is working. Set a reminder for yourself for this workshop so you don’t miss it.  And check out past workshops here: https://appliantology.org/announcement/33-webinar-recordings-index-page/

Rheem RGPH-07EAUER... igntor won't glow

jbarch

I have a gas furnace, Rheeem model RGPH-07EAUER. I replaced the HSI (ignitor) almost a year ago, but now it is acting up again. The HSI doesn't glow, and consequently we get no ignition/no heat.

Trying to measure the voltage, but I'm unsure about where to measure it. First thought was to unplug the HSI connection, and measure there on the incoming wires (see photo). Doing this I get zero voltage when I call for heat. Or should I reconnect and just place the probes directly on the gritty HSI surface?

FWIW, here's the sequence of what happens when I call for heat:

1. Furnace does the usual 30 sec. warm up.

2. Gas valve opens up but HSI is not glowing, so no ignition.

3. Blower fan comes on as normal, but of course blows only cool air. Seems odd that this step happens without ignition.

4. Faint smell of gas after I shut it off, because of course it never got a chance to combust.

Thanks in advance for any help,

JB

post-34408-12904510606_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not an HVAC expert, but there should be voltage there...

or when connected, if your probes (or smaller wires) will fit into the back side of the plug.

You could also measure the OHMS of the Glow Ignitor. (good or OPEN reading)

I just tried to fire it up again with the HSI connected.

Using my little "circuit alert" tester (not the multimeter) I get an indication that there's voltage coming in from the furnace. But there's no voltage in the two white wires for the HSI, seen in the second photo above.

• 2 weeks later...

[user=4554]applianceman18007260692[/user] wrote:

That ignitor is bad, can't you see the white spot?

I'm with the applianceman here, if that ignitor is working, it does not look like it will work for very long.  I'd replace it.

• 3 weeks later...

My brother now has the same problem, same Furnace... intermittent Glow...

anyone have a Parts List & Service Manual for the RPGH-07EAUER ?

I cant speak for Rheem; however, Trane hot surface ignitors have to register between 55 and 75 ohms or else you will experience intermittent problems.

Measure your ohms and calculate your current based on the voltage applied (E=IR) and if you get less than 1 amp, you may have to replace it.

The carbide material experiences a resistance INCREASE in the material with age and the higher resistance causes less current and thus intermittent failures to ignite.  Another potential issue is with fissure cracks.  An otherwise good ignitor exhibiting continuity through it in a cold state will expand and cause the fissure crack to open and break the circuit - that problem will drive you nuts.

Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...
ebusinessbuilder

Great suggestions ...

BTW: My Rheem RGPH 12EARJR was installed in Feb 1998 and I have the owner's manual which on page 42 states Check for 60-90VAC at Igniter, terminals and at (IFC) terminals -> IF YES, REPLACE IGNITER

Archived