Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Advice on replacing reigntion module for viking gas cooktop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ian_S

Ian_S

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

I followed the advice of someone here, and swapped a good ignitor to the burner that the has the problem of continuing to spark after the burner is lit. I guess the reigniton module is bad. Can someone advise me how to replace it, and where to get the part from at a good price?Thanks,Ian

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Samurai Appliance Repair Man

Shōgun

• Master Samurai Tech
  • 29,605 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sapporo Original Draft Rice Lager

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

Welcome back. Post the link to your original topic on this problem so we can read the foregoing discussion.

#3 jahjahbinks

jahjahbinks

idoit / voyer/ anarcist

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:ABSOLUT & GREEN TEA

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

[user=2328]Ian_S[/user] wrote:

I followed the advice of someone here, and swapped a good ignitor to the burner that the has the problem of continuing to spark after the burner is lit. I guess the reigniton module is bad. Can someone advise me how to replace it, and where to get the part from at a good price?Thanks,Ian

this may be a tricky one but i will give it a shot , you may not have a problem with the module or the ignitors , from your post i`m guessing what you have is a flame sensing ignitor and your burner is overfiring most of these units will do this (continue to spark even after the burner is lite) reason: the ignitor is also the flame sensor , cause: the flame from the burner and/or burners is not making contact with the ignitor therefore sensing a need to relight (this is also common with amana units ) test precedure: take a 2inch piece of copper strand wire (thread size) and somehow connect it to the end of the ignitor or if it has some space in the ceramic push it in there now position the remaning wire so that it will be in the flame , does this correct the problem? if yes then you have one of two problems  the orfice is dirty or damaged or the pressure regulator is not operating correctly , please report your results so we can determine if we need to look a bit further. p.s . oversized pots and pans can cause this problem as well , if you reply please be as detailed as possible. 
SHE WHO HAS THE MONEY GETS HIS APPLIANCES REPAIRED

Currently serving EVERYTHING

#4 Ian_S

Ian_S

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:53 AM

My first post.http://applianceguru...orum1/1988.html

#5 Ian_S

Ian_S

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:13 PM

(Viking vgrt3004b 4 burner gas cooktop)I tried JarJars test. The problem remains even extending the spark well into the flame with a piece of wire.one side of the stove works fine, The igniters spark once, the stove lights, the ignition stops. The other side of the stove (2 burners) light but the ignition will not shut off. The tips of the igniters are touching the flame. ( It doesn't matter if there is a pot on the stove or not.  I swapped igniters, cleaned the igniter mounting point, but still no luck the problem remains. I bought this cooktop used and it has sat covered in storage for a year, so i'm not sure if the cooktop was damaged before I bought it, or from sitting in storage.Any ideas?Ian

#6 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 12:59 PM

Yeah   .... I use to do factory Viking but that was like 5 years ago.... I believe   but dont quote me on this  This one only has 1 module cause its a 4 burner  ... If i remember correcty ya have to remove the tops like you are stripping down the stove to clean it and the module is in toward the middle ..... follow the wires back from the ignitors and you will find the module.... Im drawing sort of a blank because its been a while and im not standing in front of it    .... but anyone I have ever done as far as i remember was from the top   Just wire the new module in wire for  and your fine.... Ohhh also  if it a gas oven the frigidare oven ignitors fit in that model and they are about 1/3 of the cost of a Viking so when your oven has a hard time remember that  .....  Let us know how ya make out  or if ya can post a picture with the top apart so I can see   Thanks alot    

#7 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:47 PM

Ian,  the terminator is right on as to where the module sits...under the top,  back in the center.   Behind each burner control there is a switch.  When these switchs go bad,  they will cause your exact problem as well.     Ron

#8 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the help Ron .... Its been a while ....

#9 Ian_S

Ian_S

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the help. Before I order the module, how can I test to see if it is the switch that is bad. I own a multimeter.Ian

#10 Ron

Ron

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:17 PM

Ian,  trying to figure out the best way for you to handle this.  To test the switches,  with the wires off and the switch in the off position,  you will show no continuity.  If you get a reading, then you know thats the bad boy.  Start from the right and work your way back to the left.  You might be able to get at the switches from undernieth the cabinet.  I don't know what your setup is,  but the spark switch is on the burner valve,  mounted to the manifold.  Terminator might have an easier way to check this,  he's worked on more of these than the cat here....Ron

#11 Southern

Southern

Yamabushi

• Appliantologist
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 03:29 AM

If it's possible you might try switching the wires at the ignition module to confirm if you have two bad outputs on the ignition module itself.

The ignition module went out on my Viking range, fortunately for me it was covered under warranty.  The repair tech mentioned that this was the first ignition module he saw go bad.

There is a link on this website "Buy Appliance Parts".  You can check if they offer  parts for your Viking range.

#12 Ian_S

Ian_S

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:02 AM

It's fixed no parts involved.  I guess the contacts on the switch were dirty or lose. after I opened the front, tested the switch and put it back, I wiggled and turned the knobs, the problem went away.Thanks to all who took the time to offer advice.Ian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics