Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Strange GE dispenser

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bf_03

bf_03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:07 PM

I have a 98 GE TFX22ZRBA WW side by side refridgerator. Last night I noticed the light was out when I went to get some water from the dispenser, no big deal new light bulb. So I got a 2 pack of the bulbs at Home Depot, came home, installed one, tried to get water, light came on for one second and burned out in a flash, water still came out. Thought maybe a bad lightbulb, so installed the second lightbulb, this is where it got strange and has me stumped on what to do. Put the bulb in and pushed to get water. No water comes out. Switched light to on, water begins flowing out of the door, with no button pressed, light still not on, pushed switch back to light off and water stops but still no light.

I guess worst case I will have no light and have a functioning water/ice dispenser, I'm just afraid there may be an underlying problem that could cause a bigger problem on down the road.

Please help!!!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

Something is shorted out inside of the dispenser area.  Need to take it apart and see what is happening, suggest not using anything in the disp area right now, could be a shock or fire hazard...
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#3 Mad Mac

Mad Mac

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image

Item 39 is a "time delay module", basically a little circuit boaard that controls the dispenser functions. This is a common troublemaker on these, and is almost certainly the cause of your problems. GE part number WR55X129, order from the link above and if it doesn't do the trick, return it for a full, no questions asked refund (less shipping).
Mad Mac....Pray to God he's out there....somewhere.

#4 bf_03

bf_03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:11 PM

I was thinking that board was the problem, but wasn't sure if that controlled the light too, but since it appears to be the only board for this component, might as well replace it. Thank you very much for your help!!!!!

#5 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 03:11 PM

Before you go and tear your fridge apart and buy parts listen to what the force is saying.  Is it possible your original 120 volt light bulb died of natural causes?  Is it not also possible that you replaced it with a 12 volt light bulb?  

#6 bf_03

bf_03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:20 PM

Very good suggestion, and I actually had to check. It is a 120v light bulb I tried the 2nd time. Thanks. I can see where the board is burned, so I am pretty sure that is the problem. Thanks again everyone.

#7 pocoman72

pocoman72

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

How did you get at the board? I have a 2001 GE side by side with a similar prob. I have the board on order but still haven't figured out how to get at the circuit board.

Thanks

#8 Jedi Appliance Guy

Jedi Appliance Guy

Senpai

• Chief Appliantologist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

You have a completely different refridgerator,  why not post your question in a completely topic?  BTW the force is telling me your freezer door is frozen inside and you need new doors from GE.

#9 bf_03

bf_03

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

I got to the circuit board on mine by removing the plastic front piece, by popping it off, same with the small plastic part you press to activate the dispenser, then undo a couple of screws, it is relatively easy to figure out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics