Use this Search Box to Find Appliance Repair Help Now
Need help finding your model number?
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource for DIYers!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

You can post a question and get repair help for FREE! Click here to get started.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Old Kenmore plunger replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dichotomous

Dichotomous

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hi - I need a diagram of how to remove the belt so I can push the water pump into place and replace the 2 bolts there.  Also I think leaving the bolts out caused the plunger on the wigwag to break so what is the easiest way to replace the plunger?  And do I really have to take out the wigwag to do it?:yikes:I hate to admit to it, but it takes more torque-power than my muscles have.

Thanks for the help,

Signed,

Mom with no boyfriends:)

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• Sublime Master of Appliantology
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 02:16 PM

Im not really sure what you want to do.... If you replace a pump you do not have to remove the belt....

If you have to replace a plunger on the wig wag  then you need a set of bolt cutters  just a smalll pair to cut the bar that on the plungers that get locked onto the cam bars on the transmission. The new plunger comes with  the plunger a plastic inset a new bar that fits thru the plungers and a   locking ring...

Maybe ya should tell us what going on with the unit first because a plunger or a wig wag really has nothing to do with a pump....

If you stripped the bolts that go into the pump that lock it to the transmission than thats another issue....

Sometimes those bolts are actually just a pain in the but to get them started because you have belt tension on the pump and its hard to exactly line it up because the 2 bolts are machine thread of fine thread ..... Please let us know hwat you are trying to do and if there is more than one problem with the unit ... Thanks

#3 Dichotomous

Dichotomous

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

Hi there - Thanx for the prompt reply.  Your last thought is 1 of the problems.  I can't get the bolts lined up because so much pressure is needed to push the water pump against the belt resistance.  I was thinking it would be easier to put the bolts in if the belt wasn't there.....not sure best way to proceed.

2nd problem - 1 side of the plunger broke off along with the bar/attachment that hooks into the cam bar.  I am guessing that perhaps not having the bolts screwed back into the water pump/tranny holes, that may have been the thing that broke off the plunger.  Anyway, I need to replace the plunger as well.

#4 exsearsguy

exsearsguy

Kohai

• PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:10 PM

Roll the belt off the transmission pulley and the belt will be loose. Then start the bolts that hold your pump on and don't tighten them down. You want your pump to wiggle at this point. Next put your belt on motor, spin tube and pump.Save the transmission for last. Start the belt on the pulley and then roll it till it's on all four pulleys. Now finish tightening your pump bolts.

#5 ApplianceTerminator

ApplianceTerminator

Sōhei

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 01:47 AM

Now here is the next thing after ya get that pump and belt on..... sit down and have a very cold beer ... because when you put that plunger bar back on and you start  the unit back up just hope the plunger doesnt get ripped off again... you could have a more serious problem...

#6 Dichotomous

Dichotomous

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 04:59 AM

THANX!!!  I'm all out of beer and inbetween paydays.  Any other bright ideas!!!

What might be the more serious problem? (Go easy on me.)

2ndly, how do I get the plunger back on? Do you have  a diagram breakout? Do I have to wrestle that wigwag off to install it or can I do it with the wigwag on there?  If I have to take the wigwag off, are there any tips that will help make putting it on any easier.  Last time I got it half way on, and couldn't budge it any further.  Had to call in muscle backups.

Thank you.

Diana

#7 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 July 2005 - 06:36 AM

Yes, the control magnet has to come off to replace the plunger assy.  Just un-screw the nut in the front of the control magnet then it comes straignt up, if it is tight on the tranny, take a large screwdriver and tap it up carefully with a hammer at the base of the C/M, do not hit the coils, replace the plunger assy. then reinstall the control magnet making sure the two plungers are inside of the two coil holes, when the  two holes will line up, then reinstall the bolt to hold it in place.  Mark the wires to the assy.  from left to right will be red-white-white-yellow looking from the rear of the washer.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#8 Dichotomous

Dichotomous

Ikkō-ikki

• Grasshoppah
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:04 AM

:?Thank you.  Hope tapping works.  Last time it took 2 men taking turns "wrestling it on".  Hope I can get it done in less than an hour!!

Will let you know.

D

#9 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Academy Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 26 July 2005 - 07:15 AM

Welcome, they can be a problem.  Quite a few we had to tap them off and then tap them back on,, but have to match up the 2 holes to reinstall the bolt.  A little bit of oil might make it easier to help it slide up and back down.
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Boot Camp | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | AppliancePartsResource.com | Samurai's Blog

Real Time Analytics