Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of Appliantology? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Kenmore 110.78322700 dryer intermittently lights and smell gas inside drum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hammer340

hammer340

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:45 AM

Hi all! This is my first time posting. Nice to meet you all!

Trying to save some money, I purchased a used Kenmore dryer that was in storage for about a year (so they told me). I hooked up the dryer and it seemed to operate fine until I opened the door and smelled gas in the drum. The clothes were dry and felt somewhat warm. Also, it took longer than normal to dry the clothes.

I lifted the top while it was running and noticed the igniter would glow but didn't always ignite the gas. The igniter would cycle a few times and eventually ignite. The times it didn't ignite was when I smelled the gas. From this behavior, it seemed like there was weak gas flow. So, I checked the flex line and all the way up to the gas valve screen to make sure there were no obstructions. Which there weren't.

After reading several post of similar problems, they suggested replacing the gas valve coils. I purchased and replaced the coils but it didn't fix it. 

I replace the igniter not because I suspected it was bad but because I broke it (doh) checking the pipe for obstructions.

The radiant sensor seems to be working because the igniter cycles and I measured it with an ohm meter. When cold, it was closed and when hot, the circuit opened.

Does it sound like a gas valve? They are expensive so I wanted to bounce it off some experts!

Thanks for your help!

Greg 

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

If it was in storage without the rubber cap on the Gas Pipe stub, moisture can lead to a rusted Gas Valve.

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

#3 Budget Appliance Repair

Budget Appliance Repair

Sensei

• Senior Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:40 PM

That, or make sure this dryer isn't setup to run on LP gas instead of Natural gas.

If it has an LP gas oriface in the gas valve it maybe that not enough gas is being let through on the lower pressure natural gas so burner doesn't light correctly.

William Burk (Willie)
Willie's Budget Appliance Repair
Eureka, CA 95501

#4 hammer340

hammer340

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:35 AM

How can I tell if it's a LP orifice vs. natural gas?

#5 RegUS_PatOff

RegUS_PatOff

Sensei

• Academy Instructor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,588 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Chief NTSC Black & White

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

[user=43016]hammer340[/user] wrote:

How can I tell if it's a LP orifice vs. natural gas?

What number is stamped on the brass Orifice inside the Gas Valve ? (remove the Burner Tube)

NG (maybe # 44) 

If it's one of these, other changes must be made also:

Propane  # 54 

Butane  # 55

Need parts? Call our Parts Department now! 877-803-7957

#6 hammer340

hammer340

Unsui

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

I checked and it's a #42 orifice.

While out, I checked for any obstructions such as a spider nest and didn't see anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics