Learn appliance repair at the Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

Parts Search
Site Search

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Welcome to Appliantology.org, the Web's Premiere Appliance Repair Resource!

The world-famous Samurai Appliance Repair Forums

To get started, click here.

Already a member of the Appliantology Academy? Just sign in with your username and password in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.

Photo

Ice Maker Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WannadoitmyselfOOPS

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:28 PM

I have a GE TFX20RNB side-by-side fridge with an unusual problem.  It was moved around a bit when I had my kitchen retiled, and now it's not producing ice.  A few days ago it was sending water in, but the water wasn't making it into the tray and was creating icecicles all down the shelves. The next day,  I looked at the back of the fridge (the outside) and saw the water line had come loose from the entry point near the top right of the back.  I pushed it back together, but it just won't stay put.  Every time the ice maker starts to fill, the tube pops back out and spews a fountain of water into the air.  :drowning:

At one point I had turned the water supply off under the sink (the little piercing valve, I think it's called.  Looks like a "T."   I wasn't sure how it worked, so I tried turning it all the way in the other direction (thinking it might already be off) and got no water flow, so I turned it all the way back on.  Then it started spewing, so I've been closing it down about three turns each time it spewed, thinking the water pressure was too great.  However, the tube is continuing to pop out. 

Could the line be frozen up in there?  If so, how would I un-freeze it?  From inside?  Outside? And what do I aim for?  I can't quite see the line as it comes in b/c of the plastic cover above the ice tray as well as the metal panel behind the ice maker.  Also, I hate to be dense, but if you need me to take the ice maker out, can you tell me how to do that?  I've seen the diagram, but I don't quite see where to start and which screws need to come out.  Thanks!

Use the Appliantology Parts Search Box to Find What You Need!
Enter your model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

#2 FatMan

FatMan

Sōhei

• Appliantologist
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 02:33 AM

Yes the fill tube is frozen up. Remove the icemaker by taking out the 1/4in. screws above the ice maker(2) and (1) below, remove wiring harness and then remove fill tube and remove ice. re-install but you might want to change the water valve behind the refrigerator because this is usually what causes this to happen. You can get that part here from the best appliance parts supplier in the world( I know, because this is where I get my parts):)

#3 WannadoitmyselfOOPS

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 09:40 PM

Fatman -

Thanks for the advice --  I did what you said and it worked!  And as far as I know, I didn't set off any industrial accidents in the process.  Yet.

Anway, since I haven't had any problems with the ice maker in the past, I thought I'd try just getting the ice out of the tube without replacing anything to start with.  I'm hoping it only froze up b/c of something the tile people did when they were retiling (when I looked at it after they left, the tube had come loose from the rubber piece on the back that holds it in place).  Anyway, we shall see.  So far it has successfully frozen and harvested a tray of ice, so that's a good sign.  I'm sure disaster is only a frozen tube away, however.

I have a couple of questions after looking around at things, though -

1.  Why does the tube leading from the filter to the back of the fridge appear green inside in some places?  Is this, um, green slime?  Isn't the filter supposed to like clean the water, not turn it green??  Somehow this concerns me.:puke:

2.  Also, if I do end up needing to replace the valve, how do I do that?  I couldn't figure out how to get the rubber piece (that the tube goes into) on the back of the fridge to come out.  Also, the only access panel I see on the back is sort of a narrow strip running up the center.  It's nowhere near the water line.

Thanks again for your help! 

#4 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:43 AM

Ref. # 800 is the water valve behind the cardboard cover, and you can clean this area while the back is off...;)

Posted Image

Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

#5 WannadoitmyselfOOPS

WannadoitmyselfOOPS

Samanera

• Grasshoppah
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:54 AM

Wow. thanks for the visual!  I was wondering why the water line went in and back out down there.   I somehow thought the valve we were talking about was up at the top between the back of the fridge and the ice maker.  Is this the valve Fatman was saying I might want to replace?  What the heck is it doing all the way at the bottom of the fridge?!

By the way - woke up this morning to a full ice bin! Yay.  Of course, there's still the green slime element...

#6 Pegi

Pegi

Sensei

• Appliantology Fellow
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts
  • Flavorite Brew:Sweet Iced Tea

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:07 AM

Yes, that is the valve FatMan is referring to and they put the valve all of the way down there to make the lives miserable for all who dare to want  access to this part.  LOL   Now the green slime stuff is another matter, you might want to replace this slimey line.  :?
Buy your parts here! Posted ImagePosted ImageRead More

If we helped you kick some appliance bootay and saved you some coin, consider helping' us keep the lights on ==> http://beer.fixitnow.com

Are you a Master Appliantologist? ==> http://appliantology...ppliantologist/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

FAQs | Store | Memberships | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Beer Fund | Contact

Use the Appliantology Parts Finder to Get What You Need!
Enter a model number, part number, type of appliance, brand, or even a part description.
365-day return policy on all parts purchased here, even electrical parts that have been installed!

Your Sometimes-Lucid Host:
Samurai Appliance Repair Man
"If I can't help you fix your appliance and make you 100% satisfied, I will come to your home and slice open my belly,
spilling my steaming entrails onto your floor."

The Appliance Guru | Master Samurai Tech

Real Time Analytics