Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now or use the parts search box:

Parts Search

Learn appliance repair at online the Master Samurai Tech Academy.  Learn more.  Earn more.

FAQs | Repair Videos | Academy | Newsletter | Podcast | Contact

• Announcements

• Samurai Appliance Repair Man

***READ THIS PRIOR TO STARTING A NEW TOPIC***   05/02/2016

Topics with the complete and accurate model number in the topic title will get priority attention. You can validate your model number by entering into the form on this page: http://www.repairclinic.com/?clearLs=true For more help on using Appliantology effectively, please see this page:  
jmichaelyoung

Getting water hammer in downstairs toilet when Kenmore washer has water turned on to it.

5 posts in this topic

I have a problem that know one has heard of. I have a new house and found out I get water hammer in my downstairs toilet whenever my washer has the water turned on to it, not running just turned on. If I turn the water off to the washer no water hammer. Does anybody have any idea whether this sounds like a washer or plumbing problem. I also had the exact thing happen at the old house but I never thought of turning the water off at the washer. Thanks.

Need appliance parts? Call 877-803-7957 now!

Hummmmmmm, this is a common problem with washers and dishwashers causing pipe knocking when they are filling, because a coil on the valve is getting weak and not holding open, thus the knocking in the pipes. However, I really do not know why it would cause this if the washer was not filling, it was off and the water was just turned on to the washer.   Unless the water valve was opening by itself and closing, but seems there would be water in the washer tub. Let up hope someone else in here has the solution.

Call the plumber back in      .... If thats a new house add that to the punch list cause thats normal.... Its not the appliane its the plumbing....

Thanks for the replies. What I am trying to figure out is what is the difference between the water getting stopped at the main line for the washer or the water being stopped at the washer? Wouldn't it still hammer no matter where the water was stopped at?

Are you using black rubber fill hoses on your washer? If so, these flood monsters can provide just enough room for expansion of the water create the rebound room need to make water hammer. Replacing the hoses with steel braided fill hoses may help and it will definitely help prevent a flood!